Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

New GPU and Hard Drive with this build?

• Please log in to reply

gambLe1109

gambLe1109

• PipPip
  • 55 posts
Hi, here is my current build:

CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo E6750
Memory: 2GB Kingston PC2-6400 DDR2
HardDrive: 250GB Western Digital
Video Card: XFX GeForce 7900GS
Motherboard: XFX nForce 680i
PSU: Silverstone ST50EF

I was looking to upgrade my graphics card and also switch out my hard-drive at the same time. I was thinking maybe the 9800 GTX from nVidia and the Western Digital 640 or 750GB hard drive. Can my system handle it? Tech Report's Summer 2008 guide uses a 500W PSU with 80% Efficiency which is what my Silverstone PSU offers, but I'm just wondering is that really enough power? The system on Tech Report is even beefier than mine.

Advertisements

kamille316

kamille316

• PipPipPip
  • 604 posts
I got this from EVGA's website

Minimum of a 450 Watt power supply.
(Minimum recommended power supply with +12 Volt current rating of 24 Amp Amps.)

However, the Silverstone PSU you have is one of the best right now and it should technically work but you are cutting it too close. You are shortening the life of your PSU as it will have to run at full load.

I suggest the Western Digital 640GB (2 platter) is it performs better than the 750GB (4 platter).

gambLe1109

gambLe1109

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 55 posts
Yeah, I mean I was just surprised to see them recommend a 500W power supply with that kind of system requirements. Any more thoughts?

kamille316

kamille316

• PipPipPip
  • 604 posts
I went and looked up Tech Report and I couldn't find the build you're talking about. Is this the one you're talking about? This one didn't mention anything about the Power Supply though.