Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Troubles after hard drive change

• Please log in to reply

Joeyp

Joeyp

• PipPipPip
  • 159 posts
This is a long topic so here goes.

My sisters hard drive in her Compaq Presario circa 1999 , which had Windows XP Home in it crashed. A friend of hers put an old hard drive in it,which contained Windows 98. I went to install her AOL setup disc,but it wouldn't load it,nor would it load a bootable disc after changing the boot sequence to CDROM first. I then ran the add hardware wizard,and this is what it found.

PCI COMMUNICATION
PCI ETHERNET CONTROLLER
PCI MULTIMEDIA AUDIO DEVICE
SIS 7001 PCI TO USB OPEN HOST CONTROLLER

all of these have a (?) with an exclamation on it except the last one which only has an exclamation mark on it.the only drive that works is the floppy drive,and since I don't have a floppy,I can't download any drivers to put in it,and the older PC is not connected to the internet.Any suggestions or help would be greatly appreciated,thanks.

Advertisements

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,307 posts
Swapping hard drives and expecting them to boot up and be fine is asking alot. The drivers for the board are installed on the drive. That is, the 98 hard drive has the motherboard drivers from the unit it came off of. The motherboard in your sisters computer are entirely different.

You need to install the mother board drivers for her unit for the 98 drive. See if she has a driver cd.

If you can find the ethernet controller driver and get that working, then there is a good chance you can get to the internet to get the other drivers.

What was wrong with here hard drive that had XP on it? that might be able to be fixed. Does she have an XP cd or a recovery CD?

peter99

peter99

• PipPipPip
  • 283 posts
If you donít have a driver Cd go here for drivers
You need to know the model number

http://welcome.hp.co...en/support.html

click on desktop & workstations
desktop PCs
Compaq Presario desktop PCís

Choose from the list of models
Choose the operating system

Joeyp

Joeyp

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 159 posts

Swapping hard drives and expecting them to boot up and be fine is asking alot. The drivers for the board are installed on the drive. That is, the 98 hard drive has the motherboard drivers from the unit it came off of. The motherboard in your sisters computer are entirely different.

You need to install the mother board drivers for her unit for the 98 drive. See if she has a driver cd.

If you can find the ethernet controller driver and get that working, then there is a good chance you can get to the internet to get the other drivers.

What was wrong with here hard drive that had XP on it? that might be able to be fixed. Does she have an XP cd or a recovery CD?

She just all of a sudden got a "disc boot failure , insert disc and press enter" message,and everything stopped working.She had a PC guy work on it,and he said the drive was dead.There is no software at all for this PC,since it was a hand me down from her daughter,who threw away all things related to it.

Joeyp

Joeyp

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 159 posts

If you don’t have a driver Cd go here for drivers
You need to know the model number

http://welcome.hp.co...en/support.html

click on desktop & workstations
desktop PCs
Compaq Presario desktop PC’s

Choose from the list of models
Choose the operating system

Which drivers do I need to get the cdrom drive, usb ports,and ethernet controller to work?

Edited by Joeyp, 14 August 2008 - 11:20 AM.

peter99

peter99

• PipPipPip
  • 283 posts
Sorry I didnít reply Iíve been away for a few days

Can you tell me which model number it is and which operating system you want to install