Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

how to update windows XP version 5.1.2600

• Please log in to reply

mikegre

mikegre

• PipPip
  • 74 posts
I need some help. I have an old desktop that I had to reinstall the original Operating system. Now I'm trying to update the OS and none of the updates are being accepted by my PC. I keep getting a message that says "The expected version of the product was not found on your system".

I need to update the OS for two reasons: 1. my version of Windows Internet Explorer 6 won't load and 2. I need XP with Service Pack 2 for various activities I want to do online.

In researching this issue on line i see that this version of the OS contains a Java version 5.00.3802 that Microsoft was subsequently barred from installing in OS editions after 2003.

Suggestions appreciated!
Thanks

Edited by mikegre, 13 August 2008 - 04:57 PM.

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
5.1.2600 is the only version of XP out there.
You should be able to jump straight to Service Pack 2 or Service Pack 3 without needing to install any other updates. You may be applying updates that do not apply to a non-patched system.

mikegre

mikegre

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 74 posts
Thanks for the response Neil.

Unfortunately I can't get any of the patches to load properly. This PC is from 2002 which is around the time Microsoft was installing Java Virtual Machine (JVM) on PC's. Is there any chance that i need some sort of patch to make my version of OS compatible with the updates I'm trying to install?

Also I can't get IE to load which is another reason i need to update my OS.

Tyger

Tyger

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts
If you have another machine with a floppy drive go to the Microsoft download site and get the installer for IE6 and put it on a floppy and run it on the problem machine. It's only 480kb but it can access the download site and run the installation where the earlier version of IE cannot. I've had to resort to this many times when reinstalling versions of Windows with an IE version that was out of date and not able to access web sites. It's always my first act after a reinstallation.

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
You can download SP-3 from here. Burn the .iso file to a disk and install the update. If you need help with burning .iso files please let us know.

You probably have an old version of XP and the updates are important for the stability and security of the computer.