Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Trojan Popups from Windows Secruity Alert

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

kahdah

kahdah

GeekU Teacher

• Retired Staff
  • 15,822 posts
Cleanup::
  • Make sure you have an Internet Connection.
  • Double-click OTMoveIt2.exe to run it. (Vista users, please right click on OTMoveit2.exe and select "Run as an Administrator")
  • Click on the CleanUp! button
  • A list of tool components used in the Cleanup of malware will be downloaded.
  • If your Firewall or Real Time protection attempts to block OtMoveit2 to reach the Internet, please allow the application to do so.
  • Click Yes to begin the Cleanup process and remove these components, including this application.
  • You will be asked to reboot the machine to finish the Cleanup process. If you are asked to reboot the machine choose Yes.
===============
Upgrading Java:
  • Download the latest version of Java Runtime Environment (JRE) 6 Update 7.
  • Scroll down to where it says "The J2SE Runtime Environment (JRE) allows end-users to run Java applications".
  • Click the "Download" button to the right.
  • Select your Platform and check the box that says: "I agree to the Java SE Runtime Environment 7 License Agreement.".
  • Click on Continue.
  • Click on the link to download Windows Offline Installation (jre-6u6-windows-i586-p.exe) and save it to your desktop. Do NOT use the Sun Download Manager..
  • Close any programs you may have running - especially your web browser.
  • Go to Start > Control Panel, double-click on Add/Remove programs and remove all older versions of Java.
  • Check any item with Java Runtime Environment (JRE or J2SE) in the name.
  • Click the Remove or Change/Remove button.
  • Repeat as many times as necessary to remove each Java version.
  • Reboot your computer once all Java components are removed.
  • Then from your desktop double-click on the download to install the newest version.
======================
Use a Firewall:

Install and use a firewall with outbound protection
While the firewall built into Windows XP is adequate to protect you from incoming attacks, it will not be much help in alerting you to programs already on your PC attempting to connect to remote servers
I therefore strongly recommend that you install one of the following free firewalls: Sunbelt Free Firewall or Zonealarm
See Bleepingcomputer's excellent tutorial to help using and understanding a firewall here
Note: You should only have one firewall installed at a time. Having more than one antivirus program installed at once is likely to cause conflicts and may well decrease your overall protection as well as seriously impairing the performance of your PC.

=============================
Delete\uninstall anything else that we have used.

System Restore
Then I will need you to reset your System Restore points.
The link below shows how to create a clean restore point.
How to Turn On and Turn Off System Restore in Windows XP
http://support.micro...kb/310405/en-us

If you are using Vista then see this link > http://www.bleepingc...143.html#manual
=====================================
After that your log is clean. :)

The following is a list of tools and utilities that I like to suggest to people.
You do not have to have all or any of them they are only suggestions.
This list is full of great tools and utilities to help you understand how you got infected and how to keep from getting infected again.

Spybot Search & Destroy-Uber powerful tool which can search and annhilate nasties that make it onto your system. Now with an Immunize section that will help prevent future infections.

Spyware Blaster - Great prevention tool to keep nasties from installing on your system.

Spywareguard-Works as a Spyware "Shield" to protect your computer from getting malware in the first place.

IE-SPYAD- puts over 5000 sites in your restricted zone so you'll be protected when you visit innocent-looking sites that aren't actually innocent at all.

Windows Updates - It is very important to make sure that both Internet Explorer and Windows are kept current with the latest critical security patches from Microsoft. To do this just start Internet Explorer and select Tools > Windows Update, and follow the online instructions from there.

Tony Klein article To find out more information about how you got infected in the first place and some great guidelines to follow to prevent future infections you can read this article by Tony Klein.

Advertisements

chansey

chansey

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 46 posts
When I went to upgrade Java, there wasn't a download for "The J2SE Runtime Environment (JRE)".

However, there is one that reads: Java Runtime Environment (JRE) 6 Update 7
The Java SE Runtime Environment (JRE) allows end-users to run Java applications.

I wanted to make sure that this is the correct one before downloading it.

kahdah

kahdah

GeekU Teacher

• Retired Staff
  • 15,822 posts
Yes that is correct

chansey

chansey

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 46 posts
System Restore is not working. I've tried the troubleshooting steps from http://support.micro....com/kb/302796/ .

I've checked to make sure that System Restore isn't turned off, but when I try to turn it on, I get the following error message:

'Could not start the System Restore Service on Local Computer. Error 2: The system cannot find the file specified.'

Windows XP was already loaded onto the computer when I purchased it, so I do not have an actual Windows Disk.

Edited by chansey, 14 August 2008 - 08:29 PM.

kahdah

kahdah

GeekU Teacher

• Retired Staff
  • 15,822 posts
Click here > http://www.kellys-ko...storeenable.reg
Save that file to your desktop.
Double click it to run it and choose yes when it asks you to merge it with the registry.
After that reboot and let me know if it fixes it.

chansey

chansey

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 46 posts
I can now pull up System Restore from System Tools, but when I try to create a restore point, I receive this message: "System Restore is not able to create a restore point. Please restart the computer and then run System Restore again."

I did restart the computer a few times, and each time received the same message.

I looked in compmgmt.msc and System Restore is on the list and showing started. I also checked the disk space and the C drive has 39.39GB of free space, and D drive has 614MB free space.

Edited by chansey, 15 August 2008 - 04:58 PM.

kahdah

kahdah

GeekU Teacher

• Retired Staff
  • 15,822 posts
Hi go to Start then Right click on the My Computer > then choose Properties.
There at the top will be a System Restore tab.
Click on it and then Click to select the Turn off System Restore check box. Or, click to select the Turn off System Restore on all drives check box.
Click OK
When you receive the following message, click Yes to confirm that you want to turn off System Restore:
You have chosen to turn off System Restore. If you continue, all existing restore points will be deleted, and you will not be able to track or undo changes to your computer.

Do you want to turn off System Restore?
After a few moments, the System Properties dialog box closes.
========================================
Then after that reboot and go back to the same properties page and then Uncheck the box that says turn Off System Restore on all drives.
See if that works.

chansey

chansey

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 46 posts
That worked!!!! I was able to set a clean restore point. Thank you so much for all your help. I appreciate it so much!!! I promise to make a donation for the time that you have given me, but I can't until next week. I hope that will be alright. Again, thank you so much!!!!!

Edited by chansey, 15 August 2008 - 09:39 PM.

kahdah

kahdah

GeekU Teacher

• Retired Staff
  • 15,822 posts
Anytime is fine thanks for the thought.

You are welcome :)

Since this issue appears to be resolved ... this Topic has been closed. Glad we could help. :)

If your the topic starter, and need this topic reopened, please contact a staff member with the address of the thread.

Everyone else please begin a New Topic.