Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Monitor is dying

• Please log in to reply

Seltox

Seltox

• PipPipPip
  • 254 posts
I recently came home from a LAN party and when I set my computer back up and turned it on, I noticed this really thin (1 pixel wide) blue line about 2/3 of the way across my screen from the left. It came down about 5cm. At the time I didn't think much of it at all because it was barely noticable.

The next day when I turned my PC back on it had got longer, and much much wider. It now had some really dark green pixels near the top of it too.

My first thought was 'stuck pixels', but as far as I know that is a manufacturer defect, and shouldn't happen in the same way. I can't get a picture of it currently, so I can't show you myself.

Any ideas?

Advertisements

ZEUS_GB

ZEUS_GB

There's no school like old school!

• Retired Staff
  • 1,668 posts
We had A TFT where I work that had a 2cm pink line down the centre of it. We sent it back to be repaired.

Check that it is the monitor causing the problem and then contact the manufacturer if it's still in warranty.

shard92

shard92

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,129 posts
I have heard of programs that can SOMETIMES regenerate lcd pixels but I haven't seen/heard anything about this in a long time and I never used it myself.... you could try some google searches but otherwise.... your panel is probably going......

Seltox

Seltox

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 254 posts
I done some research myself and found this - www.jscreenfix.com

I've been running this every time i'm not actively using my computer, and it started making slight improvements. Then I read about how applying pressure to them can fix stuck pixels too. I got a program called Undead Pixel, and had it set my screen to red (as this is the colour they show up clearest on) and started just using my nail to apply pressure to the pixels, after a while I had almost completely fixed the problem, and right now there is only a few little blue pixels left, i'm going to run jscreenfix while I sleep and hopefully my monitor will be back to normal when I wake up.

Goodnight all.

shard92

shard92

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,129 posts
thanks for replying and letting us know.... Undead pixel is one I had heard of before but couldn't remember when I posted... Sorry I couldnt' have been more help but looks like you may have done the good research yourself... now back to work....

Seltox

Seltox

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 254 posts
My problem has _kind of_ gone away.

I say kind of, because when I first turn my PC on in the morning/whenever I get up, there are still two large thin lines of stuck pixels, but they go away almost as soon as my background loads (Screenshot of Company of Heroes, so it's fairly colour intensive), and if it isn't gone then, I can just run jscreenfix for a few minutes, or just do what I normally do and they'll be gone after a few minutes anyway.