Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

XP Computer reboots itself

• Please log in to reply

Pete G

Pete G

• Pip
  • 7 posts
Hi, I have a challenge here. I recently got new memory for my computer, two 2GB pc2-3200 DIMMS. Windows XP was only showing 2.5 GB. So I updated the BIOS first, which I probably shouldn't have done. Now my computer seems to reboot itself all the time, even in safe mode. Is this the cause of my computer rebooting itself? I am assuming it is. I also put the original memory I had back and it did the same thing. Another thing, I heard that 32 bit OS's can only handle up to 3.5 GB so why did it say 2.5GB in the first place and is there a way around this? I look forward to your replies.

My system:

supermicro X6DAE-G2 MB
dual xeon 3.6ghz
radeon 1800xl video card
windows xp sp2

Thank You

Edited by Pete G, 13 August 2008 - 10:54 PM.

Advertisements

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
Flash the BIOS again, this time to an older version, preferably to the one that you had before.