Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

XP Pro freezes at startup until Task Manager is opened

• Please log in to reply

Muppet100

Muppet100

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hi,

I have a silly little problem,

I've just done a fresh install of XP Pro on a friends machine. Upon startup I get the 'take a tour of windows XP' balloon appear then the the taskbar & start menu lock up. I can't click on the 'take a tour' balloon or open the start menu.
The mouse will scroll however. When I ctr+alt+del and open Task Manager i notice there's a 'system idle process' which is hogging 90-95% of the CPU. I don't actually end this process but as soon as i close task manager the machine unlocks and runs perfectly.

VERY ANNOYING!!!!!!!! :)

I should add, i have installed the following programmes/hardware:

Symantec Client Security Corporate Edition
Nvidia GeForce 6600 latest driver
Sound Blaster Audigy 2 Driver & Creative MediaSource latest version
Linksys USB Wireless Adapter with Speedbooster - Using windows Wireless Zeron Configuration instead of Linksys software.

Can anyone help?

Regards

Edited by Muppet100, 14 August 2008 - 06:57 AM.

Advertisements

hanstone

hanstone

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I had a Gigaware wireless mouse causing this in XP Home.

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
First, System Idle is a measurement of how much free CPU time is available. The higher this number the better.

Did the system work okay before you installed the 4 things you listed? If so, do a System Restore to before the last one you did, then work backward in time until you find the one that is causing the problem or it may be quicker to do another Clean Install of XP Pro then see how things are after each program is installed. Leave Symantec out until everything is done, then leave it out forever (my opinion).

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts
Have all the drivers been installed for the board?