Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

XP reinstall after nuke and boot

• Please log in to reply

Bmsajsajs

Bmsajsajs

• Pip
  • 6 posts
My xp got an awful virus and It totally messed up everything. I got out my cd that came with my coputer when I bought it and tried to Boot from cd to start fresh. It would'nt allow me too. Told me something was compressed. Then I could'nt get back to windows at all. Got fed up and just deciced to try to nuke and boot. I choose the option to nuke everything. So now and sit and wait. It says for a 108 hours total. Ok........

Now to my question. Is all I have to do after its done is use my cd from the manufacture? Will give me an option to choose where to boot from? Well I guess What am asking is How do I get my computer up and running from here? Never done this before and just want to make sure I dont mess things up after waiting for so long...Any help would be apreciated..

Thanks for any help in advance.

Advertisements

ravens_creed

ravens_creed

• PipPipPip
  • 100 posts
If I understand your inquiry correctly, then yes... all you really need for a fresh start is the cd from your manufacturer (presumably a copy of Windows XP)

if you're nuking everything (full format... not "quick format") then yeah, sometimes it will take as long as 108 minutes to wipe your drive clean. From there, you will be installing a fresh version of Windows XP. Hopefully you backed up everything you needed and you have copies of all the software and drivers you will need afterwards...

As far as determining where to boot from.... that is handled in your bios.... at the very beginning of a boot when your computer tells you to presss "Del" to run setup.... yeah, it's in there, under boot. Normally, you'd want to order it so that it checks cds first (before the hardrives).

The long waits are normal, though, so don't worry about that. A fresh install is usually a day's work.

Hope that helped some.

Jonesey

Jonesey

• PipPipPip
  • 335 posts
He said 108 HOURS, not minutes.

ravens_creed

ravens_creed

• PipPipPip
  • 100 posts
108 hours?! That's a huge HDD, my friend! (something's obviously not right there )

Edited by ravens_creed, 14 August 2008 - 08:18 AM.

Bmsajsajs

Bmsajsajs

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
yea I said 108 hours... I checked it this morning and it is still going. Says its 20 percent done. Shows no errors. I didnt get to save anything. Virus stold it all. I could'nt get in to my software at all to save anything. I did keep all my documents and picture cds up to date. But I have no back up for drivers or any other software. I can deal with software. But not sure about where to get downloads for drivers.

Jonesey

Jonesey

• PipPipPip
  • 335 posts
There must be something seriously wrong with your pc to be taking that long to, what - reformat your HDD & reinstall Windows????

Should take about 2 hours max! Was it a Windows XP disc you booted from?

Bmsajsajs

Bmsajsajs

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
No I could not boot from my windows xp cd for some reason. I changed the boot direction to boot from cd and all it did was kept telling me that ntldr is compressed. Press ctrl alt del to restart. Which I could do all day. Then Boot sector write virus: continue y/n. I'd push yes then it would restart. I'd push no then it would it would restart. I tried everyway possible even by talking to windows tech support. They are the ones that told me to put in shop and have a dban ran on it. I dont have the money to do that today. So I found a friend that had a copy of dariks nuke and boot on it. I know its a good copy cause it was just ran on another computer and it did fine. Took a while for theirs too.

The virus I had was microsoft antivirus 2008. The first thing it took out was my avg software. Kept disabling it. Then every other program I opened it corupted. It even reset my system restore. Bad virus :)

Edited by Bmsajsajs, 14 August 2008 - 06:15 PM.

Jonesey

Jonesey

• PipPipPip
  • 335 posts
Get yourself over to the malware forum mate - they'll help you out.

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
What is the make and model of your hard disk? We will give you a link to the manufacturer's diagnostic tool. In some of them there is an option to zero all the bits in the drive. After that you have to connect the disk to a working computer and run Control Panel > Administrative tools > Computer management > Disk Management. The zeroed disk will be recognized and you will have to initialize it (make it a primary partition) and format to NTFS. When done, take it back to your computer and install windows.

Alternatively you can boot into DOS if you have the program and know how to do this. Run FDSIK to delete old partitions and recreate new partitions. Now run FORMAT C:. This will format the disk to FAT32. When done, install Windows XP, reformatting to NTFS in the process.

Bmsajsajs

Bmsajsajs

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
OK I know I said 108 hours but it took all of 118 hours. And I was skeptical and wanted to putll the plug but I hung in there and it worked. I installed the cd that came with the computer from the manufacture and it did great. All I see now is I need to download some drivers. First one has to do with the internet. I have dsl and I tried to set it up with my internet technition and she said thier was a driver missing for that too. Does anyone know how to get these drivers? I was not able to use my back up cd because it was corrupted as well so I am lost. I have a Emachines t6536 desktop pc with a service pack two cd installed.
Thanks to all that has replied.
:)

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
The drivers you need are here. Accept the terms and conditions and use another computer to download the drivers to any storage device. Move the device to your computer and install the drivers. Keep for future use.

Bmsajsajs

Bmsajsajs

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Thanks Guys for all your help. Everything reinstalled and working good as new. :)

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
Thanks for letting us know.