Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

chkdsk and computer running slow

• Please log in to reply

jessicalmccann

jessicalmccann

• PipPip
  • 38 posts
I'm having problems with my laptop (running XP) and I'm wondering if they're all somehow related - and fixable.

My laptop is doing a chkdsk everytime I boot up. I let it run through all the way but it keeps doing it on every startup, despite always shutting down properly. Along with that, my computer is running very slowly (lags behind, typing or arrowing up/down goes very slowly, files take 1-2 minutes to open). Also, I'm getting a jusched.exe message whenever I shut down. Finally, I'm getting a popup approximately once/day saying I have spyware and should "click here" to fix it. So far, I've just closed the window without doing anything. I'm wondering if these issues are all related and slowing my computer down. Can you help?

Advertisements

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
The following will help set the chkdsk problem. After you fix that (hopefully) post in the malware forum (a link in my list below). Your computer is infected and must be cleaned before any other repairs.

1: Click Start > Run. In the command line type cmd and press enter. At the prompt, in the command screen, type fsutil dirty query c: and press Enter. If the test shows the existence of a "dirty" bit:

2: Type CHKNTFS /X C: to cancel the check on next reboot.

3: Type fsutil dirty set c: to set the dirty bit.

4: Reboot. chkdsk will start. Let it run. Hopefully this will end the problem.

jessicalmccann

jessicalmccann

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts
Thanks for your help. I did the first step and it said "volume - c: is NOT dirty", so I didn't take the next steps. Anything else I can try?

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
I would start with the malware forum.

jessicalmccann

jessicalmccann

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts
Will do, thanks.