Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Help with Blue Screen of Death

• Please log in to reply

doggone

doggone

• Pip
  • 2 posts
My Dell computer running windows xp home addition just decided to pup up that blue screen. and i have tried to restart but it just keeps coming up
this is the code it may help stop: 0x00000024, (0x00190222203, 0x86783133328, 0xc0000102, 0x00000000) i have tried to put in the operating cd but it would not boot of the cd so i kept hitting F12 and got it to start from there.
1st screen comes up saying windows set up

at the end it says

Setup is starting windows

next screen comes up and says

windows xp home edition set up and at the bottom of that screen

Examining 38147 MB Disk 0 at Id 0 on bus 0 on atapi...

at this point I let it sit there for over 2 hours and nothing happened

can anyone suggest anything that may help me fix this problem PLEASE HELP

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
May indicate a problem with the hard drive.
Try connecting another one, any drive, and see if it gets past that point.

doggone

doggone

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
your saying to connect and externial hard drive to see if it will let me get past the blue screen. i'm not that good with computers but trying real hard lol. and not sure how that would work if the external hd has no operating system files. thank your for your help. :)

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
0x00000024: NTFS_FILE_SYSTEM

A problem occurred within NTFS.SYS, the driver file that allows the system to read and write to NTFS file system drives. There may be a physical problem with the disk, or an Interrupt Request Packet (IRP) may be corrupted. Other common causes include heavy hard drive fragmentation, heavy file I/O, problems with some types of drive-mirroring software, or some antivirus software. I suggest running ChkDsk or ScanDisk as a first step; then disable all file system filters such as virus scanners, firewall software, or backup utilities. Check the file properties of NTFS.SYS to ensure it matches the current OS or SP version. Update all disk, tape backup, CD-ROM, or removable device drivers to the most current versions.

* General Discussion {KB 228888} Win 2000, Win XP
http://support.micro...=228888&sd=RMVP

The proper keys to hit to recover on a dell computer is the ctrl and F11 keys at the same time. This open the recovery partition on the hard drive. If you cannot get to this partition and do have a recovery CD but still cannot reinstall the OS the most likely reason is the hard drive has died.

If possible install your drive in another computer to see if you can even see the drive. When i do this with a bad HD in my testing computer, the computer won't even boot up. or it starts getting lots of errors if the HD has been corrupted.

Any good computer shop should be able to test your HD pretty cheaply. I charge $5 simply because the customers are more likely to buy more stuff from me later on.

SRX660