Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

windows 2000 won't recognise DVDs...!

• Please log in to reply

sinbarambam

sinbarambam

• Pip
  • 5 posts
I have an older Vaio which I had upgraded from win 98 to win 2000. Unfortunately since then it won't recognise DVDs anymore. It does see cdroms.

I bought an external dvd player (probably silly thing to do ) but the same thing happened.

I tried installing various players and codec packs but nothing helped.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Advertisements

Tyger

Tyger

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts
You need the correct software to do that. Go to the Sony website for drivers and downloads, find your model and see if there is any DVD software for Windows 2000 for it. It's just that simple. If the site doesn't have it you just have to get some software for it.

sinbarambam

sinbarambam

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

You need the correct software to do that. Go to the Sony website for drivers and downloads, find your model and see if there is any DVD software for Windows 2000 for it. It's just that simple. If the site doesn't have it you just have to get some software for it.

Thanks for your reply. I did check the sony website but no dice. I also checked the hard disk manufacturer but can't find any support for this hd.
What kind of software would you recommend?

Tyger

Tyger

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts
Did your external DVD player come with any software disk? If so it probably has what you need, if not try going to the maker's site and see what is available for it.

sinbarambam

sinbarambam

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Did your external DVD player come with any software disk? If so it probably has what you need, if not try going to the maker's site and see what is available for it.

Appreciate your replies, Tyger :) . It did, and it didn't. It came with a floppy disk (!) for windows 98 installations but as this is a win2000 machine it didn't need it....I tried looking on the floppy but there is nothing of use there...I searched for the drive (TEAC cd-224E) on Teac.com and elsewhere but that didn't yield anything either.

peter99

peter99

• PipPipPip
  • 283 posts
Free Player

VLC media player - the cross-platform media player and streaming server
VLC media player is a highly portable multimedia player for various audio and video formats (MPEG-1, MPEG-2, MPEG-4, DivX, mp3, ogg, ...) as well as DVDs, VCDs, and various streaming protocols. It can also be used as a server to stream in unicast or multicast in IPv4 or IPv6 on a high-bandwidth network.

http://www.videolan.org/vlc/

sinbarambam

sinbarambam

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Free Player

VLC media player - the cross-platform media player and streaming server
VLC media player is a highly portable multimedia player for various audio and video formats (MPEG-1, MPEG-2, MPEG-4, DivX, mp3, ogg, ...) as well as DVDs, VCDs, and various streaming protocols. It can also be used as a server to stream in unicast or multicast in IPv4 or IPv6 on a high-bandwidth network.

http://www.videolan.org/vlc/

Thanks for the tip. Videolan (nor gom player, nor windows media player classic) can see DVDs in either of the two drives (internal or external)...