Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works

Complete removal of Antivirus?

• Please log in to reply

• Pip
  • 1 posts
:) I am really frustrated and need some expert opinions. I recently downloaded AVG Free to my home computer. For some reason it was not working well so I upgraded. Well, then my Internet would not work. So, the only thing I could think was that it was the AVG. So, I removed it and my email Outlook still does not work. I called my ISP and they said I have a block110 which they said there is still something in my registry?? that is scanning and blocking my email so it will not receive? So, I cannot get ahold of AVG. I do not see anything for AVG on my program list but how can I find out what is blocking my email from working and how do I remove it???

Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 6,585 posts
Go to internet explorer and look under toolbars. avg installs a toolbar and you should be able to deselect said toolbar and then remove it.

Unable to send mail
You may experience difficulties sending emails after the installation of AVG and the Personal E-mail Scanner plug-in. In addition, there may be other reasons why emails were returned erroneously to the sender that are unrelated to AVG (for example: failed authentication of the SMTP server, Internet connection difficulties, termination of a dial-up Internet connection by Outlook Express, etc.).

Disabling the outgoing email scanner may solve these problems or, at the very least, help determine if AVG is causing the difficulty.

* Launch the AVG Control Center (by double-clicking on the AVG icon in the system tray)
* Double-click on the E-mail Scanner component
* Choose Personal E-mail Scanner from the list of installed plug-ins
* Click on the Properties button
* Click on the Servers tab, select the SMTP email server and click on Modify button
* Disable the Activate this server and use for sending/receiving e-mail option in the new window dialog
* Apply the new settings by clicking the OK button.

In some unique cases, it is possible that your connection to the e-mail server will be blocked after installation of AVG. To find the cause of this issue, please try to disable AVG Firewall and E-mail Scanner. These two components can affect your e-mail client connection. To disable them, please refer to FAQ 1209.

In case disabling one or both of these components did help, please contact our technical support for further assistance.

If you can not download your e-mails after disabling the Firewall and E-mail Scanner, it is possible that there is some conflict between AVG and another application on your computer. In such case, please uninstall AVG temporarily and contact our technical support with as detailed description of the issue as possible.

To uninstall
# Download the latest installation file of AVG from the Download section of our website
# After downloading, run this file and choose the Uninstall Product option in the Select Setup Type dialog
# Finish the uninstallation process and restart your computer