Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Dell Dimension 5000 problem

• Please log in to reply

Ste West

Ste West

• Pip
  • 5 posts
Hi,

I recently looked at my friends Dell Dimension 5000 Desktop computer as he was having a problem using all his USB ports. He only had 2 ports working which allowed his Keyboard and Mouse to working as these are both USB and not PS2 connections.

I tried the normal things like to run a full AVG virus scan, a AD-Aware scan and i also ran smartfruadfix which didn't pick up any viruses. I also looked in device manager and there were no yellow exclamation marks and everything seemed to look ok.

As a quick solution i installed a new USB 2.0 internal PCI card and run the driver/software CD which installed ok but it didn't recognise any of the USB devices that i plugged in.

I then went on a help forum and it said to go to USB in device manager and uninstall all of the USB devices until the moue and keyboard stopped working and then restart the machine and Windows XP should detect new hardware. I did this and it does detect new deevices but i cannot use the mouse and keyboard. NOW IM STUCK!

I then took the computer apart and took out the hard disk drive with the intention of setting it as a slave and backing up on another computer. My problem now is that the hard drive is a SATA and I dont have a SATA drive in my computer so NOW IM STUCK!

Any help would majorly be of help.

The only thing i can think of is to use a portable version of XP to backup his stuff etc etc...

PLEASE HELP :)

Edited by Ste West, 14 August 2008 - 04:27 PM.

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
If you ripe all the USB devices out you can still shut the system down by pressing the power button on the front of the box.

peter99

peter99

• PipPipPip
  • 283 posts
What you need is something like this,

USB 2.0 to IDE/SATA Cable for 2.5-Inch/ 3.5-Inch / 5.25-Inch Drive With Power Adapter

http://www.amazon.co...r/dp/B000Q5YW76

have you tried a different keyboard and mouse

Ste West

Ste West

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
OMG, i can't thankyou you enough for the link to the amazon site for the cable. This is something that I have needed for a long time and has resolved the problem. Many Thanks once again :)