Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Wake-on-LAN help needed

• Please log in to reply

WildMan279

WildMan279

• PipPip
  • 15 posts
Hi,
I have been having some problems with Wake-on-LAN (WOL) and I need some help.
First, I have a "HP Media Center PC m1264n" with Windows XP Media Center Edition. According to the HP site, it has an Asus PTGD-LA motherboard (also listed as Goldfish3-GL8E)
I also have a new D-Link DFE-5300TX+ (rev F) Ethernet card that I use to get to the internet.

So, a while ago I found about WOL and decided to try it. I have sucuessfully forwarded the right ports to my router's brodcast address, and using many different magic packet tools and a packet sniffer on another computer on my network and the blinking activity lights on my router, I have confirmed that the magic packets are getting sent.

But, my computer won't turn on. Here are the WOL related settings that I have checked:
in the properties for the e-net card I have checked "allow the computer to turn this device off to save power" and "allow this device to bring the computer out of standby" and under the advanced tab, I have set "wake up type" to 'all'. Also in the BIOS, the only WOL related thing I found was enable WOL in S4 (and I enabled it) what does the S4 mean?

The e-net came with a 3 pin cable to connect it to the motherboard somewhere, but I can't find where to put it. But when I turn my computer off, the green lights on the e-net card are still on, so is the cable even needed. And if it is, could someone tell me where to connect it (motherboard and computer listed above)

I have tried UDP ports 7, 8, and 9, as well as some other random ports over the internet, and just a subnet brodcast

Are there any settings that I missed, or do I need to connect the WOL cable somewhere

Any help is appreciated

7|-|3 \/\/|1|) /\/\4|\|

Advertisements

The Admiral

The Admiral

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 1,067 posts
Try putting your computer in Standby, then try again.
If no go, try Hibernate, then WOL.

It's Wake-on-LAN, not Power-on-LAN.

Edited by The Admiral, 20 August 2008 - 07:18 AM.