Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

XP won't load past log-in screen, task manager doesn't work

• Please log in to reply

Compnoobie

Compnoobie

• PipPipPip
  • 139 posts
Hey, I'm doing this for a friend since his computer is dead, essentially. He says he can log-in, but once he logs in, all he sees is the wallpaper, with no icons, no taskbars, nothing. I told him to try and run explorer.exe from the task manager, but he sais "ctrl-alt-delete" doesn't work.

So then I said he should probably do a recovery and get his XP CD.

He doesn't have one..unfortunately...

so..now i'm stuck. I wanna help him, but dunno how.

Any help would be appreciated.

Advertisements

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
The F-nimda virus can cause this. I would check in the malware forum after you get the desktop up and running. Can you get into the desktop in safe mode by hitting the F8 key while the computer is starting up and then selecting safemode.

If you can get there then go to the malware forum( on another computer) and read this article.

http://www.geekstogo...-Log-t2852.html

Follow its steps to see if you can get the computer up and running. If not, get a Malware tech to help you find the problem.

good luck,

SRX660

Compnoobie

Compnoobie

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 139 posts

The F-nimda virus can cause this. I would check in the malware forum after you get the desktop up and running. Can you get into the desktop in safe mode by hitting the F8 key while the computer is starting up and then selecting safemode.

If you can get there then go to the malware forum( on another computer) and read this article.

http://www.geekstogo...-Log-t2852.html

Follow its steps to see if you can get the computer up and running. If not, get a Malware tech to help you find the problem.

good luck,

SRX660

He can't access safe mode. He's tried, and it does the same thing were it stops after the log-in screen.

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
Then rather than spending a week on the malware forum i would rather use a XP cd and wipe the HD and reinstall the OS. Much faster and easier. After that i would invest in Norton Ghost and learn how to use it because it can save a ISO file of your OS setup so you never have to spend a week getting a reinstall straightened out.

I do this quite a lot simply because it is cheaper for people to pay me for a 3 hour reinstall than a 8 to 24 hour "try to find the fix for" repair. Most even like starting out with a fresh system, once they get past the preferences changes they make.

SRX660