Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

problem starting up computer

• Please log in to reply

grahame74

grahame74

• Pip
  • 4 posts
Hello, recently when i have switched my computer on it has asked me to run setup program. I dont know what to do but running "auto detect hard disks" seems to work. Though I dont understand why this is happening, can anyone explain it? It has happened twice now and each time it says something different, the first time it said " hard disk error please select correct hard disk" the second time it said "CMos badsum " and something else I cant recall. Can anyone help cause this is really freakin me out! Thanks.

Advertisements

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP
Howdy and welcome to G2G:

Sounds like the CMOS battery is dead or dying. You will need to change it.

Murray

grahame74

grahame74

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Hello Thanks for the help. Where is the CMOS batttery located? I had the same thing this morning. I noted down what it actually says

"CMOS Checksum Bad"
"CMOS Display Type Wrong"

Press F1 to start set up

Edited by grahame74, 16 August 2008 - 06:13 AM.

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts
The cmos battery is located on the mother board. It is round in shape like a watch battery. You can pick them up at pretty much any store that sells batteries. It is removed by a little clip that is holding it in. You must remove power from the computer To protect yourself from shock).

If you are not comfortable in removing the side panel and doing this, then by all means find a friend or take it to a shop. This is a very inexpensive repair.

grahame74

grahame74

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Thanks for the help everyone. What is fustrating is it doent happen everytime I switch the computer off. I thought maybe it was happening when I shut the computer down inproperly but I did that today to try it out and it was fine. Is it worth keeping the computer running for 24 hours to see if that works? I dont want to change the battery unless I really have to.

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts
Are you losing time on your system clock?

The errors you are getting are related to the cmos battery. A long shot is the main board (had that happen once), but it is really inexpensive and easy to change the battery.

You are probably finding that if you turn it off and back on right away that it will be ok. And the problem is more evident when it is off fore awhile.

You have to choose. The problem will not fix itself and you are putting off the inevitible.

grahame74

grahame74

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Yes, that clock has been losing time. Switched it on this morning after being off all night and it was fine. Though I think you are right, the battery is on the way out and will need changing eventually. Thanks for the advice.