Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Program won't install from CD

• Please log in to reply

Manth

Manth

• Pip
  • 4 posts
Okay. Hello everyone.. I have a question I desperately need answered about my CD drive..

I just recently wiped my hard drive and reinstalled Windows, drivers, applications, etc etc. Basically, everything works fine.. except one program won't install from the disk I have for it. Other programs and devices have installed fine with the installer disks, but this one disk in particular just will not work. It's a graphic editing software that I use for work and I currently have the 30 day free trial of it, and I am going to be up the creek if I can't get this disk to install after the month is up.

The CD won't autorun, and when the disk is in the drive my CD drive appears empty. If I try to run the CD itself through Start > Run, it gives me this error message: "Windows cannot read from this disk. The disk might be corrupted, or it could be using a format that is not compatible with Windows." But the same CD installed without any problems on my second computer (that uses XP also) when I tested it to see if it was the disk itself. It would be okay if I could use my second computer for work, but unfortunately I can't and I need it to install on this one.

I really am not familiar with what drivers do, but I am assuming I don't have the right driver to run the disk.. because I had to install all the drivers myself when I reinstalled Windows and there were certain ones that didn't work or didn't install correctly.

Any advice for me, pretty please?

Edited by Manth, 16 August 2008 - 02:24 AM.

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
What program is it?

Manth

Manth

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
It's Paintshop Pro 8. An old program (from 2003), but it's been installed on so many of my computers over the years.. and it's always worked up until now.

Manth

Manth

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
No advice? :)

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Have you tried this disk on another computer?

Manth

Manth

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Yes, I have. I wrote in my original post that I tried installing it on my second computer and it works fine. It also used to be on this computer before I wiped the hard drive and reinstalled everything. The program is from 2003 and since then I've had many computers, all of which it's worked on and installed perfectly. So I really don't understand why it won't install on this computer again.