Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Any help greatly appreciated

• Please log in to reply

Brock7

Brock7

• Pip
  • 8 posts
Okay.. I have an Emachine T6420, with Windows XP.. and for some reason the computer will run perfectly fine, but just randomly the cursor will freeze into position and won't move.. But the computer continues to run. I have no idea what it is..

It has a brand new Nvidia 8400GS Video card with the latest drivers.. DirectX9, a new 500 watt PSU, and I even tested two different hard drives in it with Windows XP on them both had the same results of the cursor eventually freezing into place. Also I would feel the Heatsink to see if the CPU was overheating and its not. The weird thing is though that a hard drive with Windows 98 ran perfectly fine on it.. It never froze once.. But with Windows XP it does..

As far as my specs go:

Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition
EMachine T6420
AMD Athlon 64 processor 3400+ ~2.2GHz
512 MB of Ram
Direct X 9.0
NVidia 8400GS

If you need any more info. let me know, I really appreciate any help.. Thanks.

Advertisements

cmpm

cmpm

• PipPipPip
  • 561 posts
Hi Brock7.

Sounds like a cpu spike.

Right click your taskbar and click Task Manager.
Click the process' tab.
Click the cpu column twice and watch it for % spikes.
Note the process' that hit high marks, and post it here.
System Idle process is normally high, it is what is not being used.

Edited by cmpm, 15 August 2008 - 05:09 PM.

Brock7

Brock7

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
I watched it, and It seemed like I got normal results as far as the CPU thing went, but as I watched the CPU % it would shoot up to the 40-45% range when i did simple things like open My Pictures or My Documents.. So I'm not sure if that is normal or not. Also under the CPU tab almost everything would stay at 00, except System Idle Process, but if I opened up Windows Explorer or something IEXPLORER.exe would go up to 5 and back down.

As far as the CPU Spike thing goes, the only thing not new in the computer is the CPU basically, it was in an older motherboard when I got it, and I think it was burnt to [bleep], because the heatsink had burn marks all over it.. So would buying a new CPU fix the spike problem?

Thanks for the help btw

Edited by Brock7, 16 August 2008 - 01:29 PM.

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
This sounds like you need to update the drivers for your mouse. Have you tried using a different mouse? I am partial to the Microsoft mouses simply because i have had problems with logitech, A4, and a few other off brand mouses.

Something i did on someone elses computer was to delete the 4 sets of mouse drivers that was in his device manager and rebooted the computer. I then downloaded the latest mouse drivers for his mouse from the makers website, and installed them. It fixed his problems with the mouse disappearing.

SRX660

Brock7

Brock7

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Yes, I actually just recently changed from a PS/2 mouse to a wireless USB one, and It work's fine.. I checked the device manager and the mouse I'm using is the only one that comes up.

cmpm

cmpm

• PipPipPip
  • 561 posts
No, I would Not upgrade an emachine with a new cpu.
I don't think that's the problem anyway.

It would be better to get a new machine that is better quality.
Emachines are trouble usually. Most of the time.

tigerdirect.com's brand are even better.
Or they can help you build one with quality parts.

And it doesn't seem to be cpu spikes causing the problem.

In Control Panel click Administrative Tools.
Click Event Viewer.
Go through the logs and see if you can match the mouse freezing with the time of events.

cmpm

cmpm

• PipPipPip
  • 561 posts
opps, over wrote SRX660.

If you have a normal wired 9 pin mouse, try it and see if it's better.
Or a wired USB mouse.

Brock7

Brock7

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
I just checked the Event Viewer, and yes there are errors in there that happened when the computer would freeze.

What should I post?

cmpm

cmpm

• PipPipPip
  • 561 posts
Post the complete text of those errors please.

Edited by cmpm, 16 August 2008 - 02:03 PM.

Brock7

Brock7

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Event Type: Error
Event Source: nview_info
Event Category: None
Event ID: 1
Date: 8/15/2008
Time: 6:48:18 PM
User: N/A
Computer: GAMING-4DYWCP2S
Description:
The description for Event ID ( 1 ) in Source ( nview_info ) cannot be found. The local computer may not have the necessary registry information or message DLL files to display messages from a remote computer. You may be able to use the /AUXSOURCE= flag to retrieve this description; see Help and Support for details. The following information is part of the event: NVIEW : nfsdemo: WAIT_TIMEOUT, while waiting for a read to clear - resetting read event

Event Source: Application Error
Event ID: 1000
Date: 8/16/2008
Time: 10:38:10 AM
Description:
Faulting application iexplore.exe, version 6.0.2800.1106, faulting module msxml3.dll, version 8.30.9926.0, fault address 0x00061f5a.

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft....link/events.asp.
Data:
0000: 41 70 70 6c 69 63 61 74 Applicat
0008: 69 6f 6e 20 46 61 69 6c ion Fail
0010: 75 72 65 20 20 69 65 78 ure iex
0018: 70 6c 6f 72 65 2e 65 78 plore.ex
0020: 65 20 36 2e 30 2e 32 38 e 6.0.28
0028: 30 30 2e 31 31 30 36 20 00.1106
0030: 69 6e 20 6d 73 78 6d 6c in msxml
0038: 33 2e 64 6c 6c 20 38 2e 3.dll 8.
0040: 33 30 2e 39 39 32 36 2e 30.9926.
0048: 30 20 61 74 20 6f 66 66 0 at off
0050: 73 65 74 20 30 30 30 36 set 0006
0058: 31 66 35 61 0d 0a 1f5a..

Those were under Application errors.
Under System errors I had these:

Event Source: Service Control Manager
Event ID: 7003
Time: 1:03:26 PM
Description:
The Background Intelligent Transfer Service service depends on the following nonexistent service: LanmanWorkstation

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft....link/events.asp.

Event Source: DCOM
Event ID: 10005
Time: 1:03:26 PM
User: NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM
Description:
DCOM got error "The dependency service does not exist or has been marked for deletion. " attempting to start the service BITS with arguments "" in order to run the server:
{4991D34B-80A1-4291-83B6-3328366B9097}

Advertisements

cmpm

cmpm

• PipPipPip
  • 561 posts
Disable nview in the settings of your nvdia controls.
Right click the tray icon to disable it.

Make th icon appear in the tray and the option will be there.
See if that helps.

Attached Thumbnails

• screenshot.png

Brock7

Brock7

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
I tried it and still nothing.. I'm clueless to what I should do!

cmpm

cmpm

• PipPipPip
  • 561 posts
I'm not sure what it is.
Perhaps SRX660 can help, I don't know.

Did you try different mice?

Edited by cmpm, 16 August 2008 - 05:47 PM.

gambit678103

gambit678103

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Hey! Just to give you some background on me, I'm a CompTia ' A+' Certified Microcomputer Technician, and I just wanted to tell you that so far all you guys are partially right in the suggestions sumbmitted! :) But try this... do you know what Interrupt Requests are? Well, it sounds to me that your mouse and your video card are sharing the same "interrupt" and that ALWAYS bad. See, the problem lies with USB wireless mice, but can also occur with wired mice. Check your interrupts, and make sure your mouse is not on the same one as your video card. Now, this is not your DISPLAY (that's you monitor, of course), so don't change the interrupt for it. Let me know how it goes?

Brock7

Brock7

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Hey gambit, I'm not exactly sure on how to check my interrupt requests or how i should change them so that my mouse and video card aren't on the same one.. could you please explain in detail on how to do this? Thanks a lot for the reply.. and thanks to everyone else who also tried to help!