Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Cd Drive Issues

• Please log in to reply

Rugbymike

Rugbymike

• PipPip
  • 29 posts
Recently My Cd drives have not been found on my computer. Sometimes if i restart the computer between 5-10 times it finds it but otherwise hardly ever.
Do you know why this could be?

Thanks in advance

Mike

Advertisements

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
The first thing to do is check all cable connections. You may have shook the cable loose enough for it to not be seen in windows.

You don't say what your system is but if it's XP have you looked in event viewer to see if there are any problems?

Have you recently installed ay software? Roxio burning software and Norton's go-back have been known to cause this problem.

If the drive shows up on your bios try this.
Sometimes simply deleting the filter entries, from the registry, for the third-party device drivers fixes the problem. These entries can sometimes become damaged (which is what produces the "corrupt registry" warning).

To delete the offending keys, open the Registry and navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINESYSTEMCurrentControlSetControlClass\{4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}. . Delete the keys named UpperFilters and LowerFilters and reboot.

Be very careful in the registry as a wrong move or deletion can cause windows to be unbootable. I would backup the registry before doing anything.

Backing up and restoring the registry
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/322756

If none of the above has worked you may have a dead drive. Check the drive in another computer to see if it works. Or try a different cdrom drive in your computer to see if windows will see it.

SRX660