Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Network Issues - Limited Connections

• Please log in to reply

TheAesthetic

TheAesthetic

• PipPip
  • 32 posts
I recently moved into a new apartment. We have a wireless network setup, but it seems I cannot access it properly. It is a secure network and I have the proper information typed in to let me access it, it connects, but will not let me access the internet. I have little trouble accessing non-private networks, but do occasionally drop for no reason (even though i am connected). I am using a static IP and I'd really like to keep it that way. I don't know if thats the problem, but it didn't seem to be an issue at my other place. Anyway, any useful help or info, as always, would be greatly appreciated. Thanks alot in advance!

Oh and I think its worth noting that this happens with firewall disabled and no antivirus running! I have done a bunch of troubleshooting with no success!

Edited by TheAesthetic, 15 August 2008 - 08:03 PM.

Advertisements

The Admiral

The Admiral

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 1,067 posts

I am using a static IP and I'd really like to keep it that way.
<snip>
I have done a bunch of troubleshooting with no success!

Have you disabled your static IP and let the DHCP assign you an IP address?

TheAesthetic

TheAesthetic

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts
No, I haven't. I would like stay with a static IP as it makes my computing a whole lot easier. As I've said, no problems connecting on other networks, but the one most convenient for me (also which I'm paying for), does not work properly. So let me rephrase what I'd like help doing: establishing this connection while keeping my static IP. If I must disable the IP, be assigned one and then set up a new one, that wouldn't be a problem, but I'm not sure that would work or is even an option. Thanks for the help so far and apologies for being soo picky.

The Admiral

The Admiral

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 1,067 posts
Try this:

Write down your static IP information. Then enable automatic IP and DNS again.

If it works, you may have to sacrifice your static IP.

If not, you win, and we can take a look at what else is going on.

It just seems like this could very realistically be caused by a valid Default Gateway, but invalid IP address.

TheAesthetic

TheAesthetic

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts
No luck! :-||