Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Bloodhound, Adaware [RESOLVED]

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

FaMaK

FaMaK

• PipPip
  • 64 posts
Hello, I am now working on my home computer and it has become slow. It appears that Symantec antivirus at one point quarantined the Bloodhound virus. I just ran Malwarebytes and it pulled up adware, including Mywebsearch and Myway (log posted below). I also posted my Hijackthis log. Thanks!!

Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware 1.24
Database version: 1052
Windows 6.0.6001 Service Pack 1

8:58:06 AM 8/16/2008
mbam-log-8-16-2008 (08-58-06).txt

Scan type: Quick Scan
Objects scanned: 36451
Time elapsed: 4 minute(s), 5 second(s)

Memory Processes Infected: 0
Memory Modules Infected: 0
Registry Keys Infected: 22
Registry Values Infected: 0
Registry Data Items Infected: 0
Folders Infected: 7
Files Infected: 1

Memory Processes Infected:
(No malicious items detected)

Memory Modules Infected:

Registry Keys Infected:
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Interface\{cf54be1c-9359-4395-8533-1657cf209cfe} (Adware.MyWebSearch) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Typelib\{d518921a-4a03-425e-9873-b9a71756821e} (Adware.MyWebSearch) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Low Rights\ElevationPolicy\{59c7fc09-1c83-4648-b3e6-003d2bbc7481} (Adware.MyWebSearch) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Low Rights\ElevationPolicy\{68af847f-6e91-45dd-9b68-d6a12c30e5d7} (Adware.MyWebSearch) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Low Rights\ElevationPolicy\{9170b96c-28d4-4626-8358-27e6caeef907} (Adware.MyWebSearch) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Low Rights\ElevationPolicy\{d1a71fa0-ff48-48dd-9b6d-7a13a3e42127} (Adware.MyWebSearch) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Low Rights\ElevationPolicy\{ddb1968e-ead6-40fd-8dae-ff14757f60c7} (Adware.MyWebSearch) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Low Rights\ElevationPolicy\{f138d901-86f0-4383-99b6-9cdd406036da} (Adware.MyWebSearch) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{147a976f-eee1-4377-8ea7-4716e4cdd239} (Adware.MyWebSearch) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{9afb8248-617f-460d-9366-d71cdeda3179} (Adware.MyWebSearch) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{a4730ebe-43a6-443e-9776-36915d323ad3} (Adware.MyWebSearch) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Interface\{2e9937fc-cf2f-4f56-af54-5a6a3dd375cc} (Adware.MyWebSearch) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Interface\{741de825-a6f0-4497-9aa6-8023cf9b0fff} (Adware.MyWebSearch) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\SearchScopes\{56256a51-b582-467e-b8d4-7786eda79ae0} (Adware.MyWebSearch) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Code Store Database\Distribution Units\{1d4db7d2-6ec9-47a3-bd87-1e41684e07bb} (Adware.MyWebSearch) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Low Rights\RunDll32Policy\f3ScrCtr.dll (Adware.MyWay) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\MyWebSearch (Adware.MyWebSearch) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Multimedia\WMPlayer\Schemes\f3pss (Adware.MyWebSearch) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\FunWebProducts (Adware.MyWebSearch) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Fun Web Products (Adware.MyWebSearch) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\MyWebSearch (Adware.MyWebSearch) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\FocusInteractive (Adware.MyWebSearch) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.

Registry Values Infected:

Registry Data Items Infected:

Folders Infected:
C:\Program Files\MyWebSearch (Adware.MyWebSearch) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\Program Files\MyWebSearch\bar (Adware.MyWebSearch) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\Program Files\MyWebSearch\bar\History (Adware.MyWebSearch) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\Program Files\MyWebSearch\bar\Settings (Adware.MyWebSearch) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\Program Files\FunWebProducts (Adware.MyWebSearch) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\Program Files\FunWebProducts\ScreenSaver (Adware.MyWebSearch) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\Program Files\FunWebProducts\ScreenSaver\Images (Adware.MyWebSearch) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.

Files Infected:
C:\Program Files\MyWebSearch\bar\Settings\s_pid.dat (Adware.MyWebSearch) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.

Logfile of Trend Micro HijackThis v2.0.2
Scan saved at 9:24:44 AM, on 8/16/2008
Platform: Windows Vista SP1 (WinNT 6.00.1905)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v7.00 (7.00.6001.18000)
Boot mode: Normal

Running processes:
C:\Windows\system32\taskeng.exe
C:\Windows\system32\Dwm.exe
C:\Windows\Explorer.EXE
C:\Program Files\Windows Defender\MSASCui.exe
C:\Windows\RtHDVCpl.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\InstallShield\UpdateService\issch.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccApp.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\aol\1187899752\ee\aolsoftware.exe
C:\Program Files\Symantec AntiVirus\VPTray.exe
C:\Program Files\Lexmark 9300 Series\lxcqmon.exe
C:\Program Files\Lexmark 9300 Series\ezprint.exe
C:\Windows\System32\spool\drivers\w32x86\3\WrtMon.exe
C:\Program Files\iTunes\iTunesHelper.exe
C:\Program Files\DellSupport\DSAgnt.exe
C:\Windows\ehome\ehtray.exe
C:\Program Files\Kodak\Kodak EasyShare software\bin\EasyShare.exe
C:\Windows\ehome\ehmsas.exe
C:\Windows\System32\rundll32.exe
C:\Windows\System32\spool\drivers\w32x86\3\WrtProc.exe
C:\Windows\System32\mobsync.exe
C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbam.exe
C:\Windows\system32\NOTEPAD.EXE
C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\ieuser.exe
C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe
C:\Program Files\Trend Micro\HijackThis\HijackThis.exe
C:\Windows\system32\SearchFilterHost.exe

R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Page = http://go.microsoft....k/?LinkId=54896
R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Page_URL = http://www.yahoo.com
R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Search_URL = http://go.microsoft....k/?LinkId=54896
R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Page = http://go.microsoft....k/?LinkId=54896
R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://www.yahoo.com
R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Search,SearchAssistant =
R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Search,CustomizeSearch =
R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Window Title = Internet Explorer provided by Dell
R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Toolbar,LinksFolderName =
O1 - Hosts: ::1 localhost
O2 - BHO: (no name) - {02478D38-C3F9-4efb-9B51-7695ECA05670} - (no file)
O2 - BHO: Lexmark Toolbar - {1017A80C-6F09-4548-A84D-EDD6AC9525F0} - C:\Program Files\Lexmark Toolbar\toolband.dll
O2 - BHO: AcroIEHelperStub - {18DF081C-E8AD-4283-A596-FA578C2EBDC3} - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Adobe\Acrobat\ActiveX\AcroIEHelperShim.dll
O2 - BHO: SSVHelper Class - {761497BB-D6F0-462C-B6EB-D4DAF1D92D43} - c:\Program Files\Java\jre1.6.0\bin\ssv.dll
O2 - BHO: Browser Address Error Redirector - {CA6319C0-31B7-401E-A518-A07C3DB8F777} - C:\Program Files\BAE\BAE.dll
O3 - Toolbar: Lexmark Toolbar - {1017A80C-6F09-4548-A84D-EDD6AC9525F0} - C:\Program Files\Lexmark Toolbar\toolband.dll
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Windows Defender] %ProgramFiles%\Windows Defender\MSASCui.exe -hide
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [RtHDVCpl] RtHDVCpl.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ISUSScheduler] "C:\Program Files\Common Files\InstallShield\UpdateService\issch.exe" -start
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ccApp] "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccApp.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ECenter] c:\dell\E-Center\EULALauncher.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [HostManager] C:\Program Files\Common Files\AOL\1187899752\ee\AOLSoftware.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [vptray] C:\PROGRA~1\SYMANT~1\VPTray.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [lxcqmon.exe] "C:\Program Files\Lexmark 9300 Series\lxcqmon.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Lexmark 9300 Series Fax Server] "C:\Program Files\Lexmark 9300 Series\fm3032.exe" /s
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [EzPrint] "C:\Program Files\Lexmark 9300 Series\ezprint.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [WrtMon.exe] C:\Windows\system32\spool\drivers\w32x86\3\WrtMon.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [LXCQCATS] rundll32 C:\Windows\system32\spool\DRIVERS\W32X86\3\LXCQtime.dll,_RunDLLEntry@16
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [OM_Monitor] C:\Program Files\OLYMPUS\OLYMPUS Master\FirstStart.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [QuickTime Task] "C:\Program Files\QuickTime\QTTask.exe" -atboottime
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [iTunesHelper] "C:\Program Files\iTunes\iTunesHelper.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Adobe Reader Speed Launcher] "C:\Program Files\Adobe\Reader 9.0\Reader\Reader_sl.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [NvSvc] RUNDLL32.EXE C:\Windows\system32\nvsvc.dll,nvsvcStart
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [NvCplDaemon] RUNDLL32.EXE C:\Windows\system32\NvCpl.dll,NvStartup
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [NvMediaCenter] RUNDLL32.EXE C:\Windows\system32\NvMcTray.dll,NvTaskbarInit
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [DellSupport] "C:\Program Files\DellSupport\DSAgnt.exe" /startup
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [ehTray.exe] C:\Windows\ehome\ehTray.exe
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [OM_Monitor] C:\Program Files\OLYMPUS\OLYMPUS Master\Monitor.exe -NoStart
O4 - HKUS\S-1-5-19\..\Run: [Sidebar] %ProgramFiles%\Windows Sidebar\Sidebar.exe /detectMem (User 'LOCAL SERVICE')
O4 - HKUS\S-1-5-19\..\Run: [WindowsWelcomeCenter] rundll32.exe oobefldr.dll,ShowWelcomeCenter (User 'LOCAL SERVICE')
O4 - HKUS\S-1-5-20\..\Run: [Sidebar] %ProgramFiles%\Windows Sidebar\Sidebar.exe /detectMem (User 'NETWORK SERVICE')
O4 - Global Startup: Kodak EasyShare software.lnk = C:\Program Files\Kodak\Kodak EasyShare software\bin\EasyShare.exe
O8 - Extra context menu item: E&xport to Microsoft Excel - res://C:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~2\OFFICE11\EXCEL.EXE/3000
O9 - Extra button: (no name) - {08B0E5C0-4FCB-11CF-AAA5-00401C608501} - c:\Program Files\Java\jre1.6.0\bin\npjpi160.dll
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Sun Java Console - {08B0E5C0-4FCB-11CF-AAA5-00401C608501} - c:\Program Files\Java\jre1.6.0\bin\npjpi160.dll
O9 - Extra button: Research - {92780B25-18CC-41C8-B9BE-3C9C571A8263} - C:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~2\OFFICE11\REFIEBAR.DLL
O13 - Gopher Prefix:
O16 - DPF: {6F750203-1362-4815-A476-88533DE61D0C} (Kodak Gallery Easy Upload Manager Class) - http://www.kodakgall..._2/axofupld.cab
O23 - Service: AOL Connectivity Service (AOL ACS) - AOL LLC - C:\Program Files\Common Files\AOL\ACS\AOLAcsd.exe
O23 - Service: Apple Mobile Device - Apple, Inc. - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Apple\Mobile Device Support\bin\AppleMobileDeviceService.exe
O23 - Service: Automatic LiveUpdate Scheduler - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Symantec\LiveUpdate\ALUSchedulerSvc.exe
O23 - Service: Symantec Event Manager (ccEvtMgr) - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccSvcHst.exe
O23 - Service: Symantec Settings Manager (ccSetMgr) - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccSvcHst.exe
O23 - Service: Symantec Lic NetConnect service (CLTNetCnService) - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccSvcHst.exe
O23 - Service: Symantec AntiVirus Definition Watcher (DefWatch) - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Symantec AntiVirus\DefWatch.exe
O23 - Service: DSBrokerService - Unknown owner - C:\Program Files\DellSupport\brkrsvc.exe
O23 - Service: InstallDriver Table Manager (IDriverT) - Macrovision Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\InstallShield\Driver\1050\Intel 32\IDriverT.exe
O23 - Service: iPod Service - Apple Inc. - C:\Program Files\iPod\bin\iPodService.exe
O23 - Service: LiveUpdate - Symantec Corporation - C:\PROGRA~1\Symantec\LIVEUP~1\LUCOMS~1.EXE
O23 - Service: lxcq_device - - C:\Windows\system32\lxcqcoms.exe
O23 - Service: RoxMediaDB9 - Sonic Solutions - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Roxio Shared\9.0\SharedCOM\RoxMediaDB9.exe
O23 - Service: Roxio Hard Drive Watcher 9 (RoxWatch9) - Sonic Solutions - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Roxio Shared\9.0\SharedCOM\RoxWatch9.exe
O23 - Service: SAVRoam (SavRoam) - symantec - C:\Program Files\Symantec AntiVirus\SavRoam.exe
O23 - Service: stllssvr - MicroVision Development, Inc. - C:\Program Files\Common Files\SureThing Shared\stllssvr.exe
O23 - Service: Symantec AntiVirus - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Symantec AntiVirus\Rtvscan.exe

--
End of file - 8021 bytes

Advertisements

emeraldnzl

emeraldnzl

GeekU Instructor

• GeekU Moderator
  • 20,051 posts
Hello FaMaK,

Sorry about the delay. I am having a look at your log and will get back to you in a bit.

regards
emeraldnzl

emeraldnzl

emeraldnzl

GeekU Instructor

• GeekU Moderator
  • 20,051 posts
Hello FaMaK,

Please download JavaRa and unzip it to your Desktop.

Double click JavaRa.exe then click Remove Older Versions.

Follow any prompts; a log will popup (JavaRa.log)-- please post the contents of this log.

Next, open JavaRa.exe again, and select Search For Updates.

Select Update Using Sun Java's Website --> Search, and continue the instructions for downloading and installing the latest Java version.

Next

Download OTViewIt to your desktop.
  • Close all windows and open it
  • Click Run Scan and let the program run uninterrupted
  • It will produce two logs for you, one will pop up called OTViewIt.txt, the other will be saved on your desktop and called Extras. Post both those logs here.
  • You may need more than one post to get it all on the forum; that's fine.

FaMaK

FaMaK

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 64 posts
Thank you for your help with this, I am having a few problems with the required tasks. I was able to run JavaRa.exe (it seemed to work) but I did not get a log pop up and I did a search and could not find the log. I was able to update the latest Java version. I also had problems with OTViewit, I get a message that said "list index out of bounds (20)", I tried this in safe mode as well and I got the same error message so it did not finish, just locked up.

emeraldnzl

emeraldnzl

GeekU Instructor

• GeekU Moderator
  • 20,051 posts
Hi FaMaK,

Might be Windows Defender getting in the way. Also with Vista, you may have to right click on OTViewIt.exe and select "Run as an Administrator")

Go to this link for instructions on how to disable Windows Defender

http://windowshelp.m...1bf0dc1033.mspx

Let me know how you get on.

regards
emeraldnzl

FaMaK

FaMaK

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 64 posts
I turned off windows defender and tried again, still no luck (same error message) even when I right click and run as administrator.

emeraldnzl

emeraldnzl

GeekU Instructor

• GeekU Moderator
  • 20,051 posts
Hmm not sure what's going on here.

I will consult with my moderator and get back to you.

emeraldnzl

emeraldnzl

emeraldnzl

GeekU Instructor

• GeekU Moderator
  • 20,051 posts
Hello again FaMaK,

Lets try something else.

Please download Runscanner to your desktop and run it.
  • When the first page comes up select Beginner Mode
  • On the next page select Save a binary .Run file (Recommended) then click Start full scan at the top.
  • At this time Runscanner.exe may request access to the Internet through your firewall please allow it to do so, it will then run for two or three minutes.
  • On completion it will ask for a location to save the file and a name. It will do this for both the .run file and the log file
  • Call the .run file "Select a name" and save it to your desktop. You will see the .run file on your desktop. Upload that file here.

FaMaK

FaMaK

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 64 posts
File attached. Thank you!

Attached Files

emeraldnzl

emeraldnzl

GeekU Instructor

• GeekU Moderator
  • 20,051 posts
Hello again FaMaK,

Download the attachment at the end of this post (this will be your runscanner file fixed by me)

• Save it to your desktop then double click the runscanner icon this will run the program.
  • You will notice several entries in red and in blue.
  • Click the button at the top called Fix selected items
  • Accept the warning(s) and repeat until they are all gone.
  • Reboot your PC
Next

Kaspersky only works if you are using Internet Explorer.

Please do an online scan with Kaspersky WebScanner.

Click on the Kaspersky Online Scanner button. A box will come up, click Accept, this will allow it to install an ActiveX component and download its latest anti-virus database. (Note: It may take a couple of minutes)

• Once the files have been downloaded click on NEXT
  • Now click on Scan Settings
  • In the scan settings make that the following are selected:
    * Scan using the following Anti-Virus database:
    Extended (if available otherwise Standard)
    * Scan Options:
    Scan Archives
    Scan Mail Bases
  • Click OK
  • Now under select a target to scan:
    Select My Computer
  • This will program will start and scan your system.
  • The scan will take a while so be patient and let it run.
  • Once the scan is complete it will display if your system has been infected.
    * Now click on the Save as Text button:
  • Save the file to your desktop.
Copy and paste that information in your next post.

Finally in this post

Return to this link for instructions on how to enable Windows Defender

http://windowshelp.m...1bf0dc1033.mspx

When you return please remember to post the Kaspersky scan results.

FaMaK

FaMaK

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 64 posts
Hello and thank you for getting back to me :)

I performed the steps as outlined and I turned windows defender back on. Listed below is the result of the scan, looks clean!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
KASPERSKY ONLINE SCANNER 7 REPORT
Monday, August 25, 2008
Operating System: Microsoft Windows Vista Home Premium Edition, 32-bit Service Pack 1 (build 6001)
Kaspersky Online Scanner 7 version: 7.0.25.0
Program database last update: Monday, August 25, 2008 15:15:15
Records in database: 1144482
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Scan settings:
Scan using the following database: extended
Scan archives: yes
Scan mail databases: yes

Scan area - My Computer:
C:\
D:\
E:\
G:\

Scan statistics:
Files scanned: 107679
Threat name: 0
Infected objects: 0
Suspicious objects: 0
Duration of the scan: 01:11:31

No malware has been detected. The scan area is clean.

The selected area was scanned.

emeraldnzl

emeraldnzl

GeekU Instructor

• GeekU Moderator
  • 20,051 posts
Hi FaMaK,

Yep you look clean to me. :)

We have a couple of last steps to perform and then you're all set. :)

Please go here to download OTCleanIt.

Run this program to remove the tools we have been using.

You will be asked to reboot the machine to finish the Cleanup process choose Yes.

Next, we need to clean your restore points and set a new one:

Reset and Re-enable your System Restore to remove infected files that have been backed up by Windows. The files in System Restore are protected to prevent any programs from changing those files. This is the only way to clean these files: (You will lose all previous restore points which are likely to be infected)1. Turn off System Restore.On the Desktop, right-click My Computer.
Click Properties.
Click the System Restore tab.
Check Turn off System Restore.
Click Apply, and then click OK.
2. Restart your computer.

3. Turn ON System Restore.On the Desktop, right-click My Computer.
Click Properties.
Click the System Restore tab.
UN-Check Turn off System Restore.
Click Apply, and then click OK.
[/list]System Restore will now be active again.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Now that you are clean here are some things I think are worth having a look at:

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Check your Adobe Acrobat Reader; it may be out of date. Older versions are vunerable to attack.

Please go to the link below to update.

http://www.adobe.com.../readstep2.html

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Be sure and give the Temp folders a cleaning out now and then. This helps with security and your computer will run more efficiently. I clean mine once a week. For ease of use, you might consider one of the following free programs:Note for Ccleaner users: Unless you are an expert ensure that the Advanced Option section is not checked . By default this is the case but look, just to make sure. Also it is generally not necessary to run the registry clean option (use of registry cleaners is a notorious source of computer problems) but if you do, ensure you click "yes" to the back up option, before cleaning.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A great way to check that your Microsoft and Java have the latest updates is to go to Software Inspector at Secunia.

I do this weekly. Not only do they tell you which programs need updating but they give you the link to follow.

To bolster your security go to Secunia.com to ensure essential programs are up to date.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Make Internet Explorer more secure
  • Click Start > Run
  • Type Inetcpl.cpl & click OK
  • Click on the Security tab
  • Click Reset all zones to default level
  • Make sure the Internet Zone is selected & Click Custom level
  • In the ActiveX section, set the first two options ("Download signed and unsigned ActiveX controls) to "Prompt", and ("Initialize and Script ActiveX controls not marked as safe") to "Disable".
  • Next Click OK, then Apply button and then OK to exit the Internet Properties page.

* MVPS Hosts file replaces your current HOSTS file with one containing well known ad sites and other bad sites. Basically, this prevents your computer from connecting to those sites by redirecting them to 127.0.0.1 which is your local computer, meaning it will be difficult to infect yourself in the future.

* Consider using an alternate browser. Mozilla's Firefox browser is excellant; it is much more secure than Internet Explorer, immune to almost all known browser hijackers, and also has the best built-in pop up blocker (Note: this as an added benefit!) that I have seen. Firefox is my default browser but I retain Internet Explorer as well so that I can access the very few sites that require it.

Firefox may be downloaded from Here

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

To help protect your computer in the future here are some free programs you can look at:

• SUPERAntiSpyware Free for Home Users to detect and remove spyware.
  • IESpy-Ad to block access to malicious websites so you cannot be redirected to them from an infected site or email.

If your Microsoft Update is not working automatically. Keep your operating system up to date by visiting
  • Microsoft Windows Update
monthly. And to keep your system clean run these free malware scanners
weekly, and be aware of what emails you open and websites you visit.

To learn more about how to protect yourself while on the internet read this article by Tony Klein: So how did I get infected in the first place?

Have a safe and happy computing day!

Rorschach112

Rorschach112

Ralphie

• Retired Staff
  • 47,710 posts
Since this issue appears to be resolved ... this Topic has been closed. Glad we could help. :)

If you're the topic starter, and need this topic reopened, please contact a staff member with the address of the thread.

Everyone else please begin a New Topic.