Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

svchost.exe - Application Error. "0x7c918fea"

• Please log in to reply

metroav

metroav

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Hi there,

Following a Windows auto update and (around the same time) running RegistryFix (from RegistryFix.com) the following svchost.exe error has started to appear after the login screen.

svchost.exe - Application Error. "0x7c918fea" ref memory @ "0x00000010" The memory could not be written.

I've seen comments from other members suggesting disabling Win Auto Update and but this hasn't worked.

Symptoms of the error include: Nvidea Graphics Card (GeForce Go 6800) mishaps such as WinXP effects crash back to classic 3.11 or Safe Mode style before correcting itself; default sound mixer becoming disabled (although Hardware Devices say it's working correctly) and sounds still coming from the laptop speakers. Also, my Vodafone Mobile Connect Card (Huawei E272) has stopped working (despite upgrading the firmware) although the hardware device appears to be working fine.

Various Registry Fix apps later and the situation has not improved.

Any advice will be appreciated.

Edited by metroav, 16 August 2008 - 08:57 AM.

Advertisements

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
Can you boot in Safe mode? If yes, try to boot to "last known configuration". If that doesn't work try System Restore (Start > all programs > accessories > system tools > system restore).

metroav

metroav

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Hi Skeptic, on the reboot that led to this login it fixed itself - but see below for the fiery hoops I jumped through . . .

I tried Safe Mode - and System Restore - but SR was unable to revert to a previous Restore Point (nice one WinUpdate!).

Now, I went through a lot of forum suggestions: mostly suggesting switching off AutoUpdate, perform manual update, the restore AutoUpdate. Others suggest using the services.msc options to disable the auto-update functions. I tried them all, however nothing appeared to work.

Some of the posts we a little old, but some (like mine) only recently came up.

Also, i didn't help myself by updating to SP3 in the manual update process: consequently some forum patches and downloads became obsolete as they were for SP2 only!

So, having exhausted all forum suggestions (apart from the helpful "format your hard drive" [inspired, huh]), and more in desperation (not being a programmer) I used Task Manager and began to shut down svchost.exe processes until it forced a re-boot. Miraculously, and I claim NO credit at all, the svchost.exe error has disappeared.

I think I may stand accused of using a sledgehammer to crack a walnut - but hey, I'm back up and running . . . for now.

Thanks for your suggestions - If the fiend error returns I'll re-try using your suggestions.

Take care.

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
Thanks for letting us know. It happens sometime and when it does, we pretend not to see anything, keep smiling, lest the error returns if we look too hard at it.

Good luck.

metroav

metroav

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Well, I typed too soon.

It's back . . . so I'll try your your options.

Any other suggestions would be welcome . . .