Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

New system. Suggestions?

• Please log in to reply

JEK23

JEK23

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Hello,

I am new to this forum and am looking for some insight building my next system. It's been over 10 years since I've put together a computer system and I am not extremely up-to-date with different hardware and such. I've done a little looking around and put together a preliminary parts list. Any comments or concerns would be useful. Here it is...

Case: Thermaltake Armor Series VA8000BWS Black Aluminum / Steel ATX Full Tower Computer Case
Power Supply: Ultra Products X2 Titanium PSU 550W DHULT31851
Mobo: ASUS P5K3 DELUXE/WIFI-AP LGA 775 Intel P35 ATX Intel Motherboard
Processor: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 Kentsfield 2.4GHz 2 x 4MB L2 Cache LGA 775 Quad-Core Processor
Memory: G.SKILL 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1066 (PC3 8500) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory
Hard Drive: Seagate Barracuda 7200.11 ST3750330AS 750GB 7200 RPM 32MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive
Video Card: ASUS EAH2600XT/HTDP/256M Radeon HD 2600XT 256MB 128-bit GDDR3 PCI Express x16 HDCP Ready CrossFire Supported Video Card
Optical Drives: LITE-ON 20X DVD±R DVD Burner Black IDE Model DH-20A4P-08 (two of these)
Media Reader: LOGISYS FP521 All-in-one USB 2.0 Card Reader
Operating System: Microsoft Windows XP Professional With SP2C

Thanks a million.

Advertisements

kamille316

kamille316

• PipPipPip
  • 604 posts
Hi JEK23, Welcome to GTG!!

Before I suggest something, what are your uses for this computer? Will it be for watching media (e.g. movies), playing games (intense or just a few games?), just internet browsing and word processing? Do you know how to overclock?

Also, what is your budget for this? Are you from US?

Kamille

JEK23

JEK23

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Hi Kamille,

The computer will be used for pretty much everything from word processing to moderate gaming. I've never overclocked a system as of yet. I did somewhat have that in my mind for possible future upgrades for this system. The budget is around 1400 or 1500 max with keyboard, mouse and monitor included. I am indeed from the US.

Thanks very much.

Josh

kamille316

kamille316

• PipPipPip
  • 604 posts
I would suggest to go with 9600GT (at least) for your video card. What size of monitor will you be using?
If you want to take advantage of crossfire, then an ATI 3870 would be the way to go for $130.

Also, Ultra's are not very good Power supplies, I would suggest to go with Corsair, Silverstone, PC Power & Cooling, OCZ, etc.

I would also suggest going with Pioneer DVD as this one is SATA and not IDE.

You will need an aftermarket heatsink/fan for your processor (than the stock heatsink) when you overclock.