Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

64 bit procs

• Please log in to reply

abone114

abone114

• PipPip
  • 36 posts
is it worth going with a 64 bit proc? i remember a couple of years ago they were really buggy and no programs were compatible with them... is thats still the case today?

Advertisements

jt1990

jt1990

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,519 posts
My understanding (and I may be wrong) is that all multicore CPU's are 64 Bit, and that you can run any 32 bit app. on them, you just can't run a 64 bit app on a 32 bit chip. An advantage to a 64 bit processor/os is that you can use *way* more RAM then with a 32 bit (32 bit are limited to 3.5-4 GB RAM, a 64 bit can theoretically take up to 16 exabytes, the next step up from a terrabyte.)

abone114

abone114

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts
oh ok, well that sheds some light on it for me, what about certain programs? i remember xp64 didnt support a lot of normal software programs and you needed specific 64 bit versions of software, that not all companies made... kind of a pain.

jt1990

jt1990

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,519 posts
I don't know about programs. Also, I've heard that Vista x64 is much better the XP x64, but I don't personally know, I've never used either XP x64 or Vista x64.

stettybet0

stettybet0

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,579 posts
Yes, 64-bit Vista has much better compatibility than 64-bit XP. Pretty much any software that will work on 32-bit Vista will also work on 64-bit Vista. The exception to this is 16-bit software, which cannot run under any 64-bit version of Windows. However, with Windows going 32-bit with Windows 95, you will have to look at programs over 10 years old in order to find a 16-bit one.

As for having to find specific 64-bit versions of programs, you should be glad if the program you are using has one. Native 64-bit programs will run faster than their 32-bit counterparts. And, as I mentioned, if there is no 64-bit version, this is no problem as 32-bit programs run fine on 64-bit Vista.