Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

How do i find out which cpu cooler i need?

• Please log in to reply

shinakuma9

shinakuma9

• PipPipPip
  • 165 posts
Hi

so my old heatsink for my pentium 4 is dying and i need to replace it.

Im going to be shopping from here:
http://canadacompute...h...=all&sort=3

Now my mobo is ATX form factor and i need to know what to buy.

Advertisements

Tyger

Tyger

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts
Your heatsink is almost certainly all right, but you probably need a new fan, and to dust things out and check the thermal paste to see that it is in good condition. You can buy a fan/heatsink combination but some makers don't use standard fans so be careful. Also the assembly need sto fit in the space available.

shinakuma9

shinakuma9

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 165 posts

Your heatsink is almost certainly all right, but you probably need a new fan, and to dust things out and check the thermal paste to see that it is in good condition. You can buy a fan/heatsink combination but some makers don't use standard fans so be careful. Also the assembly need sto fit in the space available.

Hm, but i opened up the heatsink and all the thermal substance that is supposed to be on the bottom of it is gone.
Is this normal?

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts

Hm, but i opened up the heatsink and all the thermal substance that is supposed to be on the bottom of it is gone.
Is this normal?

If you mean a square rectangular bit with no paste has appeared, then that is a normal by-effect of the CPU cooling process and it means you should remove the entire lot and put some new thermal paste on rather than spreading out the rest of what's there. The paste is the car equivalent of engine oil if you like. At this point I should say to anybody who finds this in Google, don't put oil in your computer and don't put thermal paste in your car :)