Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Easy screen capture?

• Please log in to reply

Johnny Pockets

Johnny Pockets

• Pip
  • 5 posts
I frequently need to get screen captures and use portions of them in reports for work. Google maps is one thing I have to capture. Presently, I do a normal screen cap, then paste it into a graphics prog, crop to the portion I need, then copy and paste into Word.

Can you say, "cumbersome"?

What I'd like to be able to do is fire up an app (or Firefox plugin) that will allow me, in one step, to capture a portion of the screen, then paste it into a document as an image.

Anyone aware of any freeware or open source apps that will do this, or any Firefox plugins?

Advertisements

Johanna

Johanna

The Leather Lady

• 3,038 posts
I like Gadwin PrintScreen. It's a handy little app, very configurable and easy to use. I think there is a free and a pro version. The free one does everything I need.
http://www.gadwin.co...htm#PrintScreen
Johanna

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts
I like Faststone Capture version 5.3. It sits resident in the systray and provides several shortcut keys to activate different capture modes. Like Ctrl + PrintScreen brings up the manual capture where you select ANY portion of the open window, click and it opens in its own photo editor where you can edit image before saving in the format of choice. It also allows a scrolling capture of any window that needs to scroll should you want everything.

Ron

Johnny Pockets

Johnny Pockets

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
FastStone has exactly the features I'm after. Nice job! Thanks for the link!

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts
You're welcome. I really love FastStone Capture and being free is a plus even if it is an older version. I can capture paused videos, any great wallpaper that I have on my desktop as well as what I may get in my browser. It's so versatile that I understand why they now charge for the updated version of it. Having its own editor before saving image has been a great convenience, too.

Ron

Edited by Major Payne, 17 August 2008 - 03:23 PM.