Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Safe way to keep files but get rid of xp?

• Please log in to reply

bardan

bardan

• Pip
  • 9 posts
I would like to put my old hard drive into my newer computer as a D drive. It has XP installed on it though so I'd like to know the best ways to keep all my personal file and folders but get rid of xp. I know I could transfer the files from the d: to the c: and then format d: But what is the best way to do this?
I remember once just hooking up the second drive, and then in bios aking sure I only booted from c: but id did some crazy damage to most of my files on both drives. I also know a good way would be to use an external enclosure for the d: to transfer the files to c: but I don't want to risk losing stuff again. Any Ideas would be great. Thanks!!

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hello bardan...

You can install the drive in the new computer as it is and move the files you want to keep to the new drive after it's installed. The Windows installation on the older drive will be seen only as folders (one of them named Windows) by the host machine.

If you have PATA (IDE) drives, the old drive will have to be jumpered as a slave drive to do this. IF they are SATA drives, the role it plays will be determined by the SATA port it's connected to...you need not change jumper positions.

Once you have copied the data you want from one drive to the other, you can format the older drive using Disk Management to regain the space for use as storage.

wannabe1

bardan

bardan

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
Thanks Wannabe1. So my computer won't see two lots of windows when it's booting? Just the one from the boot disc priority settings? I just wan't to be sure on that bit. Thanks!

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Your machine will see only files and folders on the older drive when it's installed as a slave....it will not see an operating system at all. To get the old OS recognized as an operating system, you'd have to add a reference to it in the boot.ini file.