Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

System Restore, Anti-Spyware, Donation [RESOLVED]

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

sharoncoreopsis

sharoncoreopsis

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Hello,
I don't know why McAfee did not issue a warning but about one month ago I fell for a pop-up window which alerted me that my system was infected with spyware. The Window looked identical as "Windows" and I downloaded a program believing it was safe to do so because the McAfee alert did not appear. This thing successfully destroyed by System Restore so that is not an option. Pop-Ups are constant and my computer has slowed down significantly. I've run all kinds of scans - from McAfee, Microsoft Windows, but to no avail. I would greatly appreciate your assistance.

Thanks very much

Advertisements

fenzodahl512

fenzodahl512

• Malware Removal
  • 9,863 posts
Hello, my name is fenzodahl512 and welcome to Geekstogo..

Please have a read at this topic and do all the preliminary steps given.

If you are using Windows Vista, or if you are using XP and already have Service Pack 1a or later, please ignore Step Three: Windows Updates and continue with Step Four: Reboot - Test

It should handle about 70% of your malware problem.. Should the problem still exist, please post a fresh HijackThis log here as shown in the Step Five: Posting a Hijack This Log.. Thank you :)

Regards
fenzodahl512

sharoncoreopsis

sharoncoreopsis

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Hello fenzodahl512 -

I want to thank you so much for your help. As far as I can tell, WinSpywareProtect appears to be gone from my computer. It's definitely gone from my bottom toolbar and the Pop-ups are no longer. I do have a few questions (one of which is how do I make a donation to geekstogo? You have helped me tremendously).

I am aware that Spyware Programs such as WinSpywareProtect Often Attack System Restore not soon after it gets into the system. So, after I followed all of your instructions you provided I checked out my System Restore to see if I could Select the Previous Month (not that I would restore my computer of course but this was one of several problems caused by this spyware. When I clicked on the Month Arrow it would not bring the calendar back to July. Does this mean that my System Restore is permanently damaged or that WinSpywareProtect still Resides in my System?

Do you recommend that I Delete all Anti-Spyware Program Except the Malwarebytes which I saved to my computer?

How is ATF Cleaner Different from Tools-Delete Temporary Internet Files?

Thank you again so much for your help.
sharoncoreopsis

fenzodahl512

fenzodahl512

• Malware Removal
  • 9,863 posts

Hello fenzodahl512 -

I want to thank you so much for your help. As far as I can tell, WinSpywareProtect appears to be gone from my computer. It's definitely gone from my bottom toolbar and the Pop-ups are no longer. I do have a few questions (one of which is how do I make a donation to geekstogo? You have helped me tremendously).

I am aware that Spyware Programs such as WinSpywareProtect Often Attack System Restore not soon after it gets into the system. So, after I followed all of your instructions you provided I checked out my System Restore to see if I could Select the Previous Month (not that I would restore my computer of course but this was one of several problems caused by this spyware. When I clicked on the Month Arrow it would not bring the calendar back to July. Does this mean that my System Restore is permanently damaged or that WinSpywareProtect still Resides in my System?

Do you recommend that I Delete all Anti-Spyware Program Except the Malwarebytes which I saved to my computer?

sharoncoreopsis

Answers in colors :)

Hello..

1. About donation, err.. I'm not sure actually :) Will ask admin for that.. :)

2. About System Restore, lets do this...

Flushing your System Restore and create a fresh Restore Point:

• On the Desktop, right-click My Computer.
  • Click Properties.
  • Click the System Restore tab.
  • Check Turn off System Restore.
  • Click Apply, and then click OK. This will flush your old System Restore.
  • Then please UNCHECK the Turn off System Restore.
  • Click again on Apply, and then click OK. This will re-enable your System Restore.
System Restore will now be active again

If you are using Windows Vista, please go HERE for tutorial on how to use, disable and enable System Restore

Please create a fresh Restore Point before proceed with our fix. Please visit this webpage if you do not know how..

If you are using Windows Vista, please visit this webpage for more information.

3. What Antispyware do you use? By the way, yes, I recommend you to keep Malwarebytes and update >> run a full scan of it about every week or so.. (do it on your free time)

4. Erm.. ATF Cleaner is all around Temporary Files Cleaner which clean all unneeded temporary files as well as your browser cache and history (you can manually set it).. While Delete Temporary Internet Files, only delete "temporary internet files" and there's also other internet tools button which clears your browsing cache, history and so on.. It's only a button with ATF Cleaner but a lot of buttons with the integrated tools browser function ..

And for additional information, please read these excellent articles by miekiemoes :
Help! My computer is slow!
How to prevent Malware

And another excellent article by CastleCops Malware Prevention: Prevent Re-infection

Please reply to this thread once more and tell us about the computer behaviour before we can close this thread ;)

Have a safe and happy computing day!

Regards
fenzodahl512

sharoncoreopsis

sharoncoreopsis

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
RESPONSE TO LATEST EMAIL AT BOTTOM

Hello fenzodahl512 -

sharoncoreopsis

Answers in colors :)

Hello..

1. About donation, err.. I'm not sure actually :) Will ask admin for that.. :)

2. About System Restore, lets do this...

Flushing your System Restore and create a fresh Restore Point:

• On the Desktop, right-click My Computer.
  • Click Properties.
  • Click the System Restore tab.
  • Check Turn off System Restore.
  • Click Apply, and then click OK. This will flush your old System Restore.
  • Then please UNCHECK the Turn off System Restore.
  • Click again on Apply, and then click OK. This will re-enable your System Restore.
System Restore will now be active again

If you are using Windows Vista, please go HERE for tutorial on how to use, disable and enable System Restore

Please create a fresh Restore Point before proceed with our fix. Please visit this webpage if you do not know how..

If you are using Windows Vista, please visit this webpage for more information.

3. What Antispyware do you use? By the way, yes, I recommend you to keep Malwarebytes and update >> run a full scan of it about every week or so.. (do it on your free time)

4. Erm.. ATF Cleaner is all around Temporary Files Cleaner which clean all unneeded temporary files as well as your browser cache and history (you can manually set it).. While Delete Temporary Internet Files, only delete "temporary internet files" and there's also other internet tools button which clears your browsing cache, history and so on.. It's only a button with ATF Cleaner but a lot of buttons with the integrated tools browser function ..

And for additional information, please read these excellent articles by miekiemoes :
Help! My computer is slow!
How to prevent Malware

And another excellent article by CastleCops Malware Prevention: Prevent Re-infection

Please reply to this thread once more and tell us about the computer behaviour before we can close this thread ;)

Have a safe and happy computing day!

Regards
fenzodahl512

Hello Again fenzodahl512,

Thanks for all your well-detailed instructions again. I followed and completed your System Restore Instructions but my System Restore still will not allow me to View the Previous Month. Is this because I have “flushed” my old System Restore?

The Antispyware in addition to Malwarebytes which I use is built into my McAfee “Virus Scan Plus.” Obviously a not very thorough guard. Other Antispyware Programs I have saved (but rarely use) are Privacy Mantra and Windows Defender. Will any of these interfere with Malwarebytes? Can you recommend another anti-viral/anti-spyware program over McAfee?

Thanks for the Info on the ATF Cleaner and for the articles which I’ll read later tonight.

And please, let me know how I may make a donation directly to you. I found the Donation information on the Geekstogo website under Site Orientation and FAQ where it was recommended to direct the donation specifically to the helper who provided me assistance.

Thanks again,
sharoncoreopsis

fenzodahl512

fenzodahl512

• Malware Removal
  • 9,863 posts

Thanks for all your well-detailed instructions again. I followed and completed your System Restore Instructions but my System Restore still will not allow me to View the Previous Month. Is this because I have “flushed” my old System Restore?

Yup.. That's why..

The Antispyware in addition to Malwarebytes which I use is built into my McAfee “Virus Scan Plus.” Obviously a not very thorough guard. Other Antispyware Programs I have saved (but rarely use) are Privacy Mantra and Windows Defender. Will any of these interfere with Malwarebytes? Can you recommend another anti-viral/anti-spyware program over McAfee?

Ah.. It's okay.. Malwarebytes' works well with those.. Have to admit I never heard of Privacy Mantra before, and I'm gonna try it :)

And please, let me know how I may make a donation directly to you. I found the Donation information on the Geekstogo website under Site Orientation and FAQ where it was recommended to direct the donation specifically to the helper who provided me assistance.

Lets say, I just do it for free, and for fun.. Actually I'm in Malaysia and I don't have paypal.. So, just give it a pass :)

By the way, I'm glad and happy that your computer is good now.. And I'm gonna close this thread and mark it as resolved.. :)

fenzodahl512

fenzodahl512

• Malware Removal
  • 9,863 posts
Since this issue appears to be resolved ... this Topic has been closed. Glad we could help. :)

If you're the topic starter, and need this topic reopened, please contact a staff member with the address of the thread.

Everyone else please begin a New Topic.