Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Uninstall Issues

• Please log in to reply

chelseadee

chelseadee

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I've had AIM (classic version--not Triton or 6.8 or whatever the most current version is right now) installed on my laptop since December, but suddenly, the icon stopped showing up in the iconbar and when I attempted to run the program, it would show up under applications in the task manager, but wouldn't actually launch.

I restarted my computer a few times to see if that made a difference, and it continues not to work. So I attempted to uninstall the program today and planned on installing the newest version of AIM afterward.

Unfortunately, the uninstaller (which I believe is just a Windows uninstaller) freezes immediately after opening. I can't even click on the minimize/restore/close buttons in the top corner, which is relatively unusual--usually I can at least close a frozen program though clicking the 'x'. I'm not sure if it's an issue with AIM or an issue with the uninstaller, but I'd really like to get rid of the program.

I tried Revo uninstaller, as I was brought to this forum when I googled AIM uninstall issues and saw someone suggest that, but it won't run completely, as it gets to the third "Starting the application's built-in installer" step and gets stuck there, since the built-in installer is freezing. I also adjusted my UAC setting as someone suggested on another forum, and it didn't make a difference.

Any idea what I can do to get rid of this program, or what the issue may be, period?

Advertisements

Jacee

Jacee

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 994 posts
  • MVP
Have you tried to uninstall it from Safe Mode?