Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

How do I remove a windows update?Not installed

• Please log in to reply

Joeyp

Joeyp

• PipPipPip
  • 159 posts
I had my Windows Updates set to automatic,and it downloaded Windows XP Service Pack 3,and it is waiting to be installed,but I don't want to install Service Pack 3,So how can I get rid of it,and get rid of that yellow shield icon in my tray? I already tried a system restore,but that didn't work.Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Advertisements

brady1988

brady1988

• PipPipPip
  • 236 posts
its pretty easy , go to : START/CONTROL PANEL/ADMINISTRATIVE TOOLS/SERVICES
u will see a bar with all ur services runing so search for " Automatic Updates " once u get right click on it and press " STOP " then double click on it again then where it says " Startup Type " select " Disable " then click Apply and finally OK .

thats it ! u got disabled Automatic Updates . of u have questions let me know , good luck :)

Joeyp

Joeyp

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 159 posts

its pretty easy , go to : START/CONTROL PANEL/ADMINISTRATIVE TOOLS/SERVICES
u will see a bar with all ur services runing so search for " Automatic Updates " once u get right click on it and press " STOP " then double click on it again then where it says " Startup Type " select " Disable " then click Apply and finally OK .

thats it ! u got disabled Automatic Updates . of u have questions let me know , good luck :)

Thanks brady1988,that got rid of it. How does this affect my updates.I had it set to automatic updates,but then I changed it to notify me,but don't download or install anything,after the sp3 downloaded,thats what I changed it to.So can I set it back to that now?

Edited by Joeyp, 17 August 2008 - 07:34 PM.

brady1988

brady1988

• PipPipPip
  • 236 posts
well im not sure about it i mean if u put it back i think the message requesting u to install SP3 will show up so let me know is that happens alright ? so go ahead and do it and see what happens then .

okay , take it easy man :)

Joeyp

Joeyp

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 159 posts

well im not sure about it i mean if u put it back i think the message requesting u to install SP3 will show up so let me know is that happens alright ? so go ahead and do it and see what happens then .

okay , take it easy man :)

Yeah,that just put it back.Is there not a way to remove that sp3 download,and is it still on my pc somewhere? I want my updates to notify me but not download or install. With your solution,I had a red shield with an x in it that replaced the yellow one.

Edited by Joeyp, 17 August 2008 - 07:52 PM.

brady1988

brady1988

• PipPipPip
  • 236 posts
make sure what is that red shield i can be about sercurity risk or automatic updates tell me that pls so i can tell u what to do :)

Joeyp

Joeyp

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 159 posts

make sure what is that red shield i can be about sercurity risk or automatic updates tell me that pls so i can tell u what to do :)

it said your computer might be at risk, automatic updates are turned off.

Edited by Joeyp, 17 August 2008 - 08:02 PM.

brady1988

brady1988

• PipPipPip
  • 236 posts
so what do u want take that icon out ? if u want to u have to disbale that service and then when u want to update ur system throught that well just just do the as u did last time to disable that service , but make sure stop the service bafore u disabe it , alright so let me know how was it.

Joeyp

Joeyp

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 159 posts

so what do u want take that icon out ? if u want to u have to disbale that service and then when u want to update ur system throught that well just just do the as u did last time to disable that service , but make sure stop the service bafore u disabe it , alright so let me know how was it.

I found a way to get rid of the yellow icon.I clicked on it in the tray,then clicked custom install.Then I un-ticked the box next to the update,then ticked "Don't notify me about this update again" that made it a hidden update,and the yellow icon went away,and I can keep my updates on. Thanks for your help brady.

brady1988

brady1988

• PipPipPip
  • 236 posts
No Problem , now u see how easy was that ? :)

Edited by brady1988, 18 August 2008 - 05:31 AM.

ylima

ylima

• Pip
  • 1 posts

I found a way to get rid of the yellow icon.I clicked on it in the tray,then clicked custom install.Then I un-ticked the box next to the update,then ticked "Don't notify me about this update again" that made it a hidden update,and the yellow icon went away,and I can keep my updates on. Thanks for your help brady.

i have been trying everything to get rid of this update from my system tray ..Thank you sooooooooo much it worked ..congratulations :)

iman74

iman74

• PipPip
  • 27 posts
Just curious why don't you guys don't want to update the machines? Unless your existing programs can get broken by an update (that happens from time to time) it's quite wise to update your machine.