Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

system password

• Please log in to reply

jcham504

jcham504

• PipPip
  • 53 posts
I have a problem that has me stumped. I set up and admin and system password for my dell optiplex and saved settings and rebooted. When i rebooted the the system wants that password before loading. I know my password but the keyboard won't function so i can enter it. I have tried every usb port for the keyboard and other keyboards with the other types of connections. I get no response from any of them. Can anyone give me a solution. Thks

Advertisements

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
Can you boot to your BIOS? With your computer it's done by tapping repeatedly the Delete or F2 key as soon as you press the power button. Try first with a USB keyboard. If it doesn't work try a PS2 keyboard. Please do not use a wireless keyboard.

jcham504

jcham504

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 53 posts
I have tried the following. All had the same result as noted below.
Connected a ps2 keyboard then booted as I keyed F2.
Connected a ps2 keyboard then booted as I keyed F8
Connected a ps2 to serial keyboard then booted as I keyed F2
Connected a ps2 to serial keyboard then booted as I keyed F8
I also just allow the unit to boot with each keyboard without interuption.

The screen in every case came up as follows:

Phoenix ROM BIOS PLUS Version 1.10 A07
Copyright 1985-1988 Phoenix Technologies Ltd
Copyright 1990-2006 Dell Inc.
All Rights Reserved

Dell system Optiplex GX620 Series
Bios Version A07
www.dell.com

Keyboard failure

Type the system password and press <enter>
Enter Password: _

I again was not able to enter my password. Pretty fustrating. But I hope you can continue to help.

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
Did you try tapping the Delete key?

I will ask another helper, who work for Dell, to have a look at this topic.

The Admiral

The Admiral

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 1,067 posts
Hi J,

What model Optiplex do you have, and in what form factor (how big)? Did you change any other settings in the BIOS when you set the passwords?

Just so we're on the same page: you got a keyboard error with both a USB and a PS/2 keyboard?

Edited by The Admiral, 19 August 2008 - 08:25 AM.

jcham504

jcham504

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 53 posts
Optiplex GS 620
Pent4 3.0ghz
2mb catche
64bit
1gb memory

the only other change I made was to boot from the disc drive. I have tried to use a xp pro disc to see if I can get the prompt to press any key to boot from disc and still get the password request. I cant tap any key as I get a Keyboard failure at each boot. I have tried both dell and non dell keyboards using all connections available. usb serial and ps2.

The Admiral

The Admiral

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 1,067 posts
Open the case for me and see if you can find a small watch battery. If you can, shut down the computer, unplug the power cord, take out the battery for 30 seconds, and then put it back in. Plug it back in and see if it works.

Also, can you describe how the computer looks physically? We have four different sizes of this computer, and I have some specific instructions I need to look up.

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
Thanks, Admiral for joining forces.

The Skeptic

jcham504

jcham504

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 53 posts
Thank you both. Admiral for the quick fix. I pulled the battery and replaced it. Closed er up and rebooted. The machine said keyboard failure again, but I noticed that after i hit a key and then enter to try again it said invalid password even though no asterics came on the screen. I tried entering the password blind (no asterics on screen) and it asked told me I had a fan clock and keyboard error and would i like to click F2 to go to setup. Amen. I went to setup removed the system password leaving it blank and rebooted. The system came up fine. Thanks so much I knew this group could help me.

One last question. In the set up screen there's a section that allows one to restore to factory default settings. Will I loose everything if i choose this. If not how do I find out what those settings are and if there are any passwords or keys i would need to know. I dont want to screw up again!

Thanks agian
jcham504 :) :)

The Admiral

The Admiral

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 1,067 posts
If you have a clock error, be sure to change the time in the setup!
Also, go into the Event Log section (System Setup > Maintenance > Event Log) and clear the Log. Reboot, and see if you are still getting error messages - for example if you are getting a fan error after you clear the event log, something may be wrong with your fan. Contact our Technical Support Department via Chat or Phone (800-624-9896) if this is the case.

To restore to factory default settings, that's just for the BIOS. Doing that will basically undo any changes you made in the system setup, things like boot order, RAID setup, onboard devices, etc. The only way it could render your system inoperable is if it changed the RAID or SATA operations of the hard drives. It does not inherently erase data on the hard drive.

Advertisements

jcham504

jcham504

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 53 posts
Thanks again for the help. I will followup with your last instructions. Thanks again for the help and info.

The Admiral

The Admiral

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 1,067 posts
Let us know how it turns out!

jcham504

jcham504

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 53 posts
All went well. I booted with the xp pro disc and did a repair (not console repair). When I got to installing devices I hit F10 to get to user acct settings. (These were being block out and I couldn't chase adm from my dad to me as administrator.) I entered NUSRMGR.CPL and pressed Enter. I set myself up as adm and removed my dads acct at the prompt i got a window asking if a wanted to save his files and setting. I said yes but think that was a mistake because now i get the following screen when I boot up.

The first screen is the "log into windows screen" with his screen name in it. If is overshadowed and greyed out with the following screen:

(Yellow tryangle exclamation piont sign) The system could not log you on. Make sure your user name and domnain are correct, then type your pasword again. Letters in passwords must be typed using the correct case. It has and OK button at the bottom. I click it and the welcome screen with only my user box comes up I click it and all is well from then on until I reboot.

The Admiral

The Admiral

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 1,067 posts
If you can get into your user account (eventually), and you are an administrator, can you save any important files from your dad's user account, delete the account, and recreate it?

jcham504

jcham504

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 53 posts
I already deleted his acct as it is not there when I go to acct settings. I did use the options to save his files and settings. Do I need to go to the registry and search for all mentions of his name and remove them to stop this.