Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Monitor has verticle lines, mouse pointer invisible

• Please log in to reply

CJB

CJB

• Pip
  • 2 posts
HP f2105 monitor has developed multi colored vertical lines. This happened Sat. evening. The mouse pointer is almost invisible and I have to click all over the screen to find where it' hiding. I've used the HP Trouble shooting site, downloaded new drivers, put in new batteries in the mouse and keyboard, check all of the plugs, rebooted, and called tech support at HP who couldn't understand a word I said and told me to just buy a new monitor. It took him 4 times to understand my name and phone number and I speak English.
Do I need a new monitor?
Thanks for your help.
Cynthia

Advertisements

digikiwi

digikiwi

• PipPipPip
  • 260 posts
Hi Cynthia,

It's a bit like trying to figure out why your car is making that funny noise - from on the phone. Could be a bunch of things and what any techie will do is eliminate possibilities. The one single easiest thing to do is to try your monitor on someone else's computer or laptop. If it still plays up, try using another monitor cable on that testing computer. If your problem is still there then you know you have a hardware problem with the monitor.

If the monitor is fine on another computer then we need to start thinking about what might be up with your computer. However testing the monitor is the obvious place to start.

Digikiwi

CJB

CJB

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Thanks to all for your replies to my question. I finally had to bit the bullet and buy a new monitor. The old one just died a slow death which wasn't a pretty sight.
It's good to know that people are out in cyber space looking out for those of us who don't have a clue about such things. With my limited knowledge I'll be happy to help others. But my specialty is genealogy which isn't a discussion on this site.
Again, Thanks so very much.
CJB