Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Computer not recognising graphics card.

• Please log in to reply

dandj

dandj

• Pip
  • 1 posts
OK im on Windows Xp Home Edition, 1.3 ghz celeron processor, 256mb memory, 3D agp onboard graphics. ive installed my graphics card succsessfully before, but i had to take it out to reboot my computer once, ever since then, it hasnt been recognised by windows when i put it in, its a 3D Blaster 4 MX.
Basically i go through the usual steps to put it in, when i do, the card still works while the other is disbaled, but the card doesnt show up in dxdiag, and i have no video memory at all, everything is jumpy, so i cant do anything really.
ANY HELP.

Advertisements

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
You mention that you took the card out to reboot the computer and since then it didn't work. Maybe it was damaged even then and only it's removal enabled reboot.

I hope you don't install/remove cards when the computer is powered on.

1: Uninstall the driver in device manager and reboot with the card in place. Let windows find a driver and see if the video is stable. If not, go to step 2.

2: To test if the card is damaged try to place another card (you can borrow, temporarily from another computer). Alternatively you can place your card in another computer. If it works there then the card slot, or bass, are damaged. If it doesn't, the card itself is probably damaged.