Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Networking help needed

• Please log in to reply

parman

parman

• PipPip
  • 16 posts
Hi folks, heres my prob.

i have set up my home network with 3 workstations, 2 desktops are running xp, the laptop is on vista, i am using a bt home hub for my wireless connection, the 2 desktops on xp are set up for file sharing and also share the same printer, can i get help to connect the laptop to the same printer and also file share with the other 2 pcs

any help will be greatly appreciated by myself and my daughter who needs this set up for her school work
thanx for reading

Advertisements

Wanderer_of_the_Stars

Wanderer_of_the_Stars

• PipPip
  • 11 posts
The irony: I just set up my network exactly like yours. 2 XP desktops and a vista laptop.

Vista's new file sharing can be really easy and complicated at the same time. But I'll see what I can do to help.

Lets turn on file sharing in Vista first.

Click Start>Network>Network and Sharing Center
In this window locate 'Sharing and Discovery'

What you need to turn on and off:
Network discovery - On
File sharing - On
Public File Sharing - On (Use the top or middle option. Unless you don't trust the people on your network, use the middle option like I do)
Printer Sharing - On (Not necessary since you are trying to connect to a printer. However, if you ever attach a printer you need this option on)
Password Protected Sharing - Off (If this is on, only accounts within your laptop can acces file sharing. But you need people on a network to acces your laptop)
Media Sharing - Optional (If you want to share videos and music go for it)

Now you are set up for file sharing, however, there is more to connecting to your home network.

Make sure you are part of the same workgroup:
Click Start>Right click on Computer>Properties
When the properties window shows up, there are links on the left hand side. Click Advanced system settings.
In this window, click the tab on the top that says 'Computer Name"
Here it shows the name of your computer and you can even put a description. The important part is where it says 'Workgroup'.

All of your computers need to be on the same workgroup. By defualt, microsoft creates a workgroup called 'workgroup' already. If that is what you have your other PCs set as then just keep this how it is, if not click change and you can change your workgroup to the appropriate name.

Now that all PCs have file sharing enabled and are on the same workgroup, you should be set. Simply click Start>Network and the other PCs should be there for you to see.

Note: Both XP and Vista create a default folder for sharing over a workgroup. For vista this folder is called 'public' and has all the settings set ready to share. Simply drag any files you want to share into this folder and your set.

parman

parman

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
Wanderer_of_the_Stars, firstly can i thank you for replying to my post, and i will also apologise for my delay in replying back to you, this has been the 1st opportunity i have had to try and rectify the problem since i posted.

i had all the settings correct that you mention, but i did not have them all on the same workgroup.

once i changed all names to the same i thought that it should now be ok.

unfortunately not, i am not able to see the laptop from any of the desktops and unable to connect it to the printer.

Now i am really puzzled

Wanderer_of_the_Stars

Wanderer_of_the_Stars

• PipPip
  • 11 posts
So you can see the other PCs from your laptop though? Also, you are trying to connect the laptop to a PC with a printer right? Make sure that the printer is being shared by the PC.

If you change the names then automatically try to view yournetwork places it won't work. You have to restart for grouping to take effect.

Give me a couple more hints. I need to know what and what not you can see in your network places.