Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Hard Drive Not Being Recognized

• Please log in to reply

adambz

adambz

• Pip
  • 2 posts
I'm running Windows XP. I have 3 Hard drives in my system, all Seagate's. One is a 200GB, and the two others(identical) are 80GB's.

All of them were working fine, until I had to take one of the 80GB's out for a few minutes. When I put it back in, it didn't work. I've made sure all the jumpers are correct, I've checked all the cables, etc. I don't think it's a driver problem because the other 80GB is working just fine, and they're the same model hard drive.

All of my hard drives are recognized in the BIOS, so Windows is having some kind of problem. Has anybody else had this problem? Can anyone help me?

Thanks!

Edited by adambz, 18 August 2008 - 03:57 PM.

Advertisements

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
Go to control Panel > Administrative tools Computer management > disk management. See if the the disk is recognized there and what's it's status.

adambz

adambz

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Go to control Panel > Administrative tools Computer management > disk management. See if the the disk is recognized there and what's it's status.

I should have mentioned this in the first post, but it's not showing up in Disk Management at all.

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
Boot the computer and in Device Manager uninstall Primary and secondary IDE drivers. Reboot and let windows install the driver afresh.

If still not good try to connect the disk alone on the IDE cable. Try all jumpering options. Try to connect to the end and center connectors. Try another cable. Try another power connection. Try another flat cable.

We try to locate the problem by trial and error.