Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Cant access www.windowsupdate.com/

• Please log in to reply

muddles

muddles

• Pip
  • 4 posts
I joined Geekstogo 2 days ago as I seem to have picked up some malware which are not easily being eliminated including Smitfraud, some sort of win32 virus and a few others. I am completely "green" at computers so will need detailed instructions, sometimes for simple things.

I started by following the preparation details listed. I ran ATF-Cleaner.exe; I downloaded Malwarebytes Anti-Malware and ran a quick scan and a full scan - 2 trojans were found but these were cleared. - I have attached the log

I run AVG 8.0.138 free version which is up to date

The next recommended step is to run Windows updates. I have been trying to access www.windowsupdate.com but the green squares in the box at the bottom get as far as 4 squares and then it just stays there. I have tried refreshing but it just restarts the process and gets as far as 4 squares again.

Help! How do I proceed if I cant access the website?

I have not turned off my computer since running these programs as I want to go through the full process before rebooting but I am concerned that leaving it on will leave me open to attack.

Attached Files

Advertisements

Basementgeek

Basementgeek

Visiting Staff

• Visiting Consultant
  • 28 posts
Hi and welcome to the forum: :)

Run those things that you can and post your HJT here:

http://www.geekstogo...o-Here-f37.html

Please make that you tell them about your problem with not being able to get all updates.

BG

muddles

muddles

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Thanks

It turned out that my internet security settings needed to be adjusted to allow access to Windows Updates