Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

XP service pack 3 is it new?

• Please log in to reply

handyrink

handyrink

• Pip
  • 5 posts
I just received a download for XP service pack 3. I thought this came out in March/May????? I have looked on MS download site and it is not offered. Is this legit? Thanks

Advertisements

TheQuickBrownFox

TheQuickBrownFox

• PipPipPip
  • 714 posts
SP3 for XP was published on May, you are correct.
Here's a link to Microsoft's Overview of SP3.
http://www.microsoft...;displaylang=en

I don't know Microsoft wouldn't offer SP3 from their site. Maybe you got mistaken?

handyrink

handyrink

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Thank you I found the download at the site you recommended. I know there are issues with SP3. I will read the posts concerning these issues.
Again, thank you for your help.
Randy

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts
SP3 only gets offered when you run through the Update site and it is a large download and install. Otherwise, it will be sent in small stages if you have Updates turned on.

I usually bypass installing SP3 when using MS' Update site and go with all the other updates I need as SP3 severely crashed my desktop. MS has issued a way to make sure SP3 is not fed to your computer via the usual small doses and it offers a SP3 Help Site.

Ron

handyrink

handyrink

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Thanks Ron, I'm not sure I will download SP3 after reading all the negative comments concerning it. I do have updates turned on. Do you think I will have any security issues if I do not download SP3. [bleep] MS, next time it's a Mac.

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts
I've updated everything that has been sent my way for Win XP except SP3 and haven't had any security problems. That doesn't mean you will not, but since SP3 forced me to reinstall XP, I'll continue on without it. If you do decide to install SP3, be sure to back up all files. Especially what you have in the "My Documents" folder as a new install wipes that out TOTALLY.

I tried every option available to recover before making the decision to re-install. Although all your programs are still listed in the Program Files folder, many of the paths and required Registry keys to allow them to work are gone. Of course, a complete drive format will erase all.

Ron

handyrink

handyrink

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
okay thanks for the info. I think I will take my chances and not download SP3. I will just use the regular updates from Automatic updates.
Randy

TheQuickBrownFox

TheQuickBrownFox

• PipPipPip
  • 714 posts
I haven't had a single problem with SP3 so far except for the change in log in. I think the one called FastSwitch was the original one and it changed to the NT log in.