Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Can I create recovery disks from untouched 2nd partition when I reform

• Please log in to reply

newbie1231

newbie1231

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I am not even close to being a geek, but I think I know enough to be dangerous...LOL! My sister-in-law let her ex-husband mess with her computer, and she started getting a "userinit.exe" error that would not let her access anything on her computer. After "playing" with it, I was able to get desktop icons, task bar, etc. to show up, but the computer would not let her make any changes, i.e. fonts, appearance, nothing administor related. I researched many sites on the internet and tried several things, to no avail. So...I borrowed an XP disc from a friend, deleted the partition that the C drive was on (did not touch the partition with the recovery software on it), and installed XP again. The 2nd partition still contains the files to create the recovery discs, which she never created, which is why we could not just put in the recovery discs, and do a system restore. Bottom line...the computer appears to be OK now, and she is listed as the computer administrator. I did not create a password, as that appeared to be part of the problem...I think her ex messed around in administrator area (just guessing). SO...is there any way to create the recovery discs from the information on the 2nd partition if I have reformatted the 1st partition, and none of the original Acer stuff is there? Sorry to ramble, my first time here. Thanks for any help you can provide.

Advertisements

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
It would be almost impossible to make a recovery CD now. There is a website that says you can download a recovery CD from for a price but i have not used them. The first thing i did before anything else was to make a recovery CD for my Acer laptop.

Heres the website.

http://www.user-guid...Recovery-CD.htm

I really don't see why you need a recovery CD anyway, other than to reinstall software that you no longer have access to anyway.

You may be able to buy a recovery CD from Acer by starting here.

https://secure3.tx.a...m/RCD/Main.aspx

You Can also check to see what downloads they have for your laptop. I downloaded everything i could find and burned it all to a CD for safekeeping.

http://www.acerpanam.../bin/acer.html#

SRX660