Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Laptop "Connected", Doesn't Open Webpages

• Please log in to reply

Shillelagh

Shillelagh

• PipPip
  • 19 posts
Hello,

I use a Toshiba Satellite M40 Laptop. The model number is PSM40C-SF300E.

The laptop is three years old and has never given me any problems up until now. I used a wireless internet connection primarily on my computer and it worked perfectly. We recently secured the wireless network, and my laptop worked on it for about a day. I tried again the next morning and my laptop would "connect" to the WiFi, but it wouldn't open any webpages, connect to Windows Live Messenger, etc. I figured it must have been something to do with the router/network so I plugged the ethernet cable directly into my computer. It "connected" but once again didn't load any of the pages.

I called Toshiba and they said it was a router issue, called the ISP and they said it was a router problem. I'm on holidays right now and the computer can connect to the WiFi but still nothing loads so it is obviously not a router issue.

Are there any possible settings I may have accidentally changed? Any possible solution to this problem would be very, very helpful. Thanks in advance,

-Steven

Advertisements

Shillelagh

Shillelagh

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
I just read the FAQ and realized this isn't really a Windows issue I don't think.

If the mods feel it should be moved to either the Hardware or Software forum, feel free. Thanks.

The Admiral

The Admiral

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 1,067 posts

I called Toshiba and they said it was a router issue, called the ISP and they said it was a router problem. I'm on holidays right now and the computer can connect to the WiFi but still nothing loads so it is obviously not a router issue.

Maybe it's a router problem?

Reboot the router by unplugging it for thirty seconds and plugging it back in. To prove it is the router, plug your laptop directly into the cable modem, not the router, and see if you can connect.

Also, on the Tools menu in Internet Explorer, click Internet Options, click the Connections tab, and then click LAN Settings. Make sure that no boxes are checked - just in case.

Shillelagh

Shillelagh

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
I'm pretty sure it isn't a router problem because I plugged the laptop in direct without the router and still no luck. I'll try the LAN suggestions and post back later. Thanks a lot :)

shard92

shard92

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,129 posts
kind of sounds like a winsock issue to me. you could go to majorgeeks and try the winsockfix for xp download..... to test if this is maybe it can you get updates for your av program? if so it quite possibly is that.... as an after thought are you running a firewall? if so try shutting off the firewall.... if you don't have a firewall and the av won't update then you may need to reset the modem... reset the router and reset the computer.... with the router you may actually have a reset switch not just unplugging it....

Shillelagh

Shillelagh

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
I tried the router reboot suggestion (both the unplugging and the actual reboot on the router) and neither worked.
I went into the Internet Options on IE and none of the LAN settings were checked so that didn't work either.
I downloaded the Winsock for XP fix and tried it on my laptop. It applied its fix but after a restart, it still didn't work. I'm getting pretty frustrated with this computer haha.

Should I just send it in to a computer repair shop? I was hoping I wouldn't have to do that.

Thanks for all of the help and suggestions so far, I really appreciate it :)