Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Startup & shutdown of windows is slow

• Please log in to reply

triedeverything

triedeverything

• PipPip
  • 31 posts
In the past few months startup of windows & shutting down has taken longer than in the past.
Even closing an IE webpage, after X out it just sits there trying to close.
Sometimes it takes up to a few minutes.

I have run spybot search & destroy & adaware on a regular basis.
Although the new version of adaware doesn't seem to work as well as the older version, it also takes more time to startup.

What can I do to help speed up startup & shutdown times?

Thanks
8/19/08

Advertisements

jt1990

jt1990

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,519 posts
How much RAM do you have? What are you running for security software other then SpyBot and AdAware? You might want to check and see if you're infected with spyware, that can slow down your computer alot. But that may not help anything at all. On my previous computer, I was running a P4 2.8GHz with 2GB RAM and it took forever to boot up.

Edited by jt1990, 19 August 2008 - 08:22 AM.

brady1988

brady1988

• PipPipPip
  • 236 posts
pretty easy man , firstable do this :

Make sure to clean up ur entire system like temporaries, cookies , ect and ur registry use some program to do that , i will recommend u to use Ccleaner or TuneUp . if u got ur system clean restart it again and then follow these steps below :

download PC Accelerator 2007 , install it configure it after configure u have to press the button it says " Apply Settings " its on the top of ur program and then it will ask u to restart ur system, just do it .

Now go to http://www.jasonn.co...s_on_windows_xp
read that and disable all ur unnecesary services on windows xp , make sure u dont need it and make sure to read that website as good as possible
and finally go to : Start/Run/type " msconfig " press enter/BOOT.IN/select " /SOS " its on the bottom/then go to startup its right there at the top

and uncheck all the unnecesary services that u dont need it like programs, java, some programs that start up with windows xp one u got that click on Apply .

Let me know if u still having that problem. :) good luck.

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts
If you have to start turning off un-necessary services, then there is something else wrong.
If you choose to, then be very careful in the ones you turn off.

I would be very careful in everything that you do. It is very easy to crash the system. I would set a restore point just in case.
Ccleaner (in my signature) is good very a lot of cleaning up.

Do not use any other registry cleaners. They generally do not work.

What is in your msconfig under the startup. You can uncheck some that you do not need on startup (those that you can start from their shortcut).

EDIT for info on the /SOS switch,

Just a wild guess about the "/sos" boot switch: Echoing each boot step to screen will slow down the boot process a bit.
Maybe this slow down is enough to avoid a timing problem that occurs without the "/sos" option.

Edited by 123Runner, 19 August 2008 - 10:04 AM.

brady1988

brady1988

• PipPipPip
  • 236 posts
what do u mean with "" Just a wild guess about the "/sos" boot switch: Echoing each boot step to screen will slow down the boot process a bit.
Maybe this slow down is enough to avoid a timing problem that occurs without the "/sos" option. ""

"" Echoing each boot step to screen will slow down the boot process a bit "" are u sure what are u saying i mean u can cause a problem here it wont get slow down the system, because its a faster Mod and better Start-up system can u explain me that phrase please ? if u dont mind . back to the problem try what a just wrote and we will see what happens . ^-^

Edited by brady1988, 19 August 2008 - 12:13 PM.

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts

"" Echoing each boot step to screen will slow down the boot process a bit "" are u sure what are u saying i mean u can cause a problem here it wont get slow down the system, because its a faster Mod and better Start-up system can u explain me that phrase please ? if u dont mind . back to the problem try what a just wrote and we will see what happens . ^-^

Your reply makes absolutely no sense at all! it would be great if you would respond and type in English. That means full words with punctuation. All your abbreviations and words running together make no sense.

The /sos in msconfig only causes the drivers to be seen on the screen. It has no effect on speeding up his system. If anything, it will slow by a negligable amount (not noticable). That said, the /sos will do him no good.

Continuing on. Clearing temp locations, cache, cookies, etc will help. Stopping unnecessary programs from starting thru msconfig will help.

Running virus/ malware scanners will help.
Running a defrag on the computer will also help. As well as uninstalling any unnecessary programs.

A lot of this you have suggested. After this is done, we can move on to other things.

brady1988

brady1988

• PipPipPip
  • 236 posts
the /SOS will do him really good , and what i said was about this what i just said , i didnt get when u said " Echoing each boot step to screen will slow down the boot process a bit. " its totally wrong what u are saying my friend , think about it ????? did u ? well its time man thats all i tried to say and if u think u are totally right give me a proof cuz i have one for u ^-^ alright . cya

Edited by brady1988, 19 August 2008 - 03:44 PM.

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts
triedeverything is having problems with slow startup and shutdown, not drivers. Generally if there was a driver issue, it would manifest it self as blue screen or give an error code.

Do not send him to something that is not needed. No one on this forum has ever used or needed the /sos switch.

If you read http://www.pctools.c...ry/detail/1268/, you will see that all it does is display the driver name during boot up.

Rorschach112

Rorschach112

Ralphie

• Retired Staff
  • 47,710 posts
brady if you plan on staying here please use proper grammar and spelling

Artellos

Artellos

Tech Secretary

• Global Moderator
  • 3,915 posts
I hope no-one minds me jumping in. I'll just try to clarify some things here.
I'll quote a few things and put my opinion in.

download PC Accelerator 2007 , install it configure it after configure u have to press the button it says " Apply Settings " its on the top of ur program and then it will ask u to restart ur system, just do it .

I'm not sure what this program does, but it looks like a program that does overclocking. I wouldn't recommend a program like this on a PC unless you know what you are doing with it. The user doesn't want to overclock, the user wants to get rid of the slowness of the PC.

read that and disable all ur unnecesary services on windows xp , make sure u dont need it and make sure to read that website as good as possible

Again, unless you know exactly which ones to turn off I would not recommend turning off any services at all.

and finally go to : Start/Run/type " msconfig " press enter/BOOT.IN/select " /SOS " its on the bottom/then go to startup its right there at the top

As 123Runner already pointed out. /SOS will not do anything beneficial for the user at all. I recommend keeping this setting off.

Ccleaner (in my signature) is good very a lot of cleaning up.
Do not use any other registry cleaners. They generally do not work.

I tend not to recommend CCleaner. Instead I recommend ATF-Cleaner. CCleaner has a registry cleaner built-in and I find it an unsafe cleaning program. It gets rid of shortcuts I'd rather keep. ATF-Cleaner can be found HERE.
Another note. Registry Cleaners to -nothing- good for your computer. In fact they only make it worse.

triedeverything, If you could answer the questions below we might be able to work out what is causing all this.
(As jt1990 said) How much RAM do you have in your PC?
How fast is your CPU?
How old is your computer?
What do you use your computer for?

I hope I will be able to assist.
Regards,
Olrik

brady1988

brady1988

• PipPipPip
  • 236 posts
As you say, every single person has their own opinion so if you do not know what Pc Accelerator does, dont tell him do not use it .
Firstable, use it and then you will tell me if that is useless " dont u think " ? by the way my explanation was clear for his problem if you use /SOS switch
you wont have any problem " understand it " even if you have a poor system with the poorest processor , you know what im saying ? so if you have another recommendation for him " great " but dont tell me that; it sounds like you are destroying my advices however if you study in Tech Academy you guys know about it (I respect that), between one different reason: " i study Cisco, Network security, Systems, Programming, Internet Security,Web Programming.
therefore i have so much experience on this area " giving the easiest solution " No Ofense! so i respect yo ur opinions guys and i appreciated this conversation :) Apologizes for the inconvenience :)

=== And Im sorry for my improper grammar :) ===

Edited by brady1988, 20 August 2008 - 05:49 AM.

Rorschach112

Rorschach112

Ralphie

• Retired Staff
  • 47,710 posts
If these guys, especially Artellos, haven't heard of PC Accelerator, then it mustn't be a very good program, and more likely to be one of those rogue reg cleaner programs. Then it shouldn't be recommended.

Artellos is a respected staff member and 123runner has been here for quite a while, as a result more trust is given to their opinions. If they both don't agree with your suggestions then you should re-evaluate it.

Like I said before, if you plan on sticking around, please use proper grammar and spelling.

brady1988

brady1988

• PipPipPip
  • 236 posts
well as u wish guys , i wont say nothing . cya experts :)