Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

OCing

• Please log in to reply

Primevi1

Primevi1

• PipPip
  • 58 posts
http://www.geekstogo...s...t&p=1310292

Advertisements

Granz00

Granz00

• PipPipPip
  • 226 posts
OC'ing

That is a link to my thread for OC'ing my computer. I was getting help from others, and so far it was turning out pretty good. You have a different MOBO then me, however, it could probably still come in useful.

Good luck.

Primevi1

Primevi1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 58 posts
Yeah thanks for the link. I was running some of the OCing apps and saw that my CPU core temps were hovering around 50C with no overclocking. Why do you think this is so high? Room temp is around 74C

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts

Yeah thanks for the link. I was running some of the OCing apps and saw that my CPU core temps were hovering around 50C with no overclocking. Why do you think this is so high? Room temp is around 74C

It's so high because you have that Rosewill CPU Cooler, they are poor quality... :)

I highly suggest you change it before attempting to overclock, as the more you overclock, the more heat will be produced - and your CPU is idling far too high to begin with. Something like this should see massive drops in temperatures.

And room temp - 74C? :) I hope you mean F.

Troy

Granz00

Granz00

• PipPipPip
  • 226 posts
Yeah that's the heatsink that I use, and I was running about 30C max before overclocking, and about 40C max after.

Primevi1

Primevi1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 58 posts
Here is the link to the cooler I have installed...is it really that bad? For the price I figured it would be more than adequate. I might have put a little too much thermal paste on the CPU...could that also be a contributing issue? Its gonna be a pain in the [bleep] to switch out the cooler because that basically means taking the whole rig apart. BTW I did mean 74F...sorry bout that...lol

stettybet0

stettybet0

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,579 posts
Primevi1, I used to use nearly the exact same cooler (mine had blue LEDs) because I got it for free from a friend. It performed about the same as the stock Intel heatsink/fan, which isn't adequate for overclocking. Now I use the one suggested by Troy and used by Granz00. It is truly a humongous difference. I am running about 20C cooler than with the Rosewill, which allows me to overclock my E6750 to 4ghz. :)

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts

I might have put a little too much thermal paste on the CPU...could that also be a contributing issue? Its gonna be a pain in the [bleep] to switch out the cooler because that basically means taking the whole rig apart.

Too much thermal paste is an issue, but not greatly. If you reapplied it properly, you might get 2C or 3C cooler (if you're lucky), but that's still not enough.

Upgrading to a new heatsink/fan should not require pulling the whole rig apart. I did mine not too long ago, I upgraded the standard Intel heatsink/fan to an Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro. It was a very easy upgrade and, while not quite as good as the Xigmatek, still gives great performance for the money.

Here's a link to the slideshow I made, enjoy!

Troy

Granz00

Granz00

• PipPipPip
  • 226 posts

Here is the link to the cooler I have installed...is it really that bad? For the price I figured it would be more than adequate.

Did you read any of the reviews? Some of them are complaining about a lack of copper, which might be a misleading review. However, there are reviews about it not cooling adequately, and not being able to seat it right on the MOBO. Prices are misleading. In a perfect world, you would pay more for a better product. However, that is not the case (Look at the price of the Xbox 360 vs the Wii (Looks both ways for someone to jump me on this comment)).

I find that bad reviews seem to come from somewhere, so if it has any, then make sure to read them. For example, the heatsink that I have has bad reviews about getting it on there, and suggests buying the mounting bracket, I did not listen to this at first, and I ended up paying the price afterwards. I then bought the mounting bracket, and it now works pretty good. It was still a pain to get the thing on though...

Primevi1

Primevi1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 58 posts
So should I get the paste supplied in the box or do you guys have any recommendations?

What are your opinions on this Cooler?

I tried to RMA on Newegg and they are only going to give me ~$15 back because I got it as a combo discount. Is there anything else I can do to get this thing cooling better other than buying a new unit? I dont really need to heavily OC, so what do you think I should make my goals at if I kept this cooler? Also what applications will OCing aid in directly, as im not sure I even need to OC.

Edited by Primevi1, 20 August 2008 - 08:57 AM.

Advertisements

Primevi1

Primevi1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 58 posts
So I'm thinking now about just buying two extra fans for increased airflow on my case. Here's what I've selected let me know your thoughts.
Top Mount Fan (Out)
Bottom Mount Fan (Intake from cold tile)

stettybet0

stettybet0

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,579 posts
Case airflow really won't do much for your CPU temperatures. The best solution if you are looking to lower CPU temperatures is to buy this Xigmatek heatsink/fan recommended earlier by Troy. While the Zerotherm you mentioned would certainly perform better than your Rosewill, it would still be outperformed by the Xigmatek. The Xigmatek is also cheaper.

Primevi1

Primevi1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 58 posts
The only reason I say I wanted more fans is because SpeedFan says my system is at 121C, which im not entirely sure is accurate, and my CPU is at 40C with each core hovering around 50C. So it seems to me that I need more ventilation...

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
How many case fans do you have?

Primevi1

Primevi1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 58 posts
3..(120mm on the back, 120mm on the front, 120mm on the side) 1 on the CPU cooler, and 1 to cool the PSU (but that stays cooling that.)

I also failed to mention I have my RAM at 1066MHz because it defaulted to 800MHz, but was rated at 1066MHz so I wanted to optimize it.

*Edit*
On second review my CPU seems to run around 32C while both of the cores hover around 50C...is this normal (and if so how is it possible?)

Edited by Primevi1, 24 August 2008 - 05:55 PM.