Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

OCing

• Please log in to reply

Primevi1

Primevi1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 58 posts
How do you insert pics as thumbnails?

Advertisements

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
You can upload them, or if they're too large, upload them to another site (like Photobucket) and them link to them.

Primevi1

Primevi1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 58 posts
Cool thanks for the tip Troy. Do you guys have any idea where I hook up the audio pass-through for my video cards hdmi to my motherboard? Or do I need to put my sound card in and install it through that? I only have 2.1 speakers on there right now so I saw no need on adding the sound card atm. But if there is no where on the mobo then I guess I'll have to install it. Nowhere seems to be able to give me images or walkthroughs, so any help would be great.

Also for my RAM is it better to have a higher or a lower number for my Tras settings? I have it as 18 but was also told 15.

Currently running 1066.7 MHz with 2.0V and these settings:

CAS: 5
Trcd: 5
Trp: 5
Tras 18
CMD: 2T

Everything else Auto.

Also using speed fan I found out my CPU runs around 32-35C, only my cores were running around 50C. Guess the heat sink works after all... lol. Any ideas on how high to overclock this baby?
What do you need for a Windows score of 5.9? Right now the only component holding me back is the CPU having a score of 5.6. Is 3.6 GHz attainable?

Also I had my first signs of the dreaded video corruption bug with the EVGA 750i MOBO while watching a divx movie... going to try and see if I have the latest firmware. Gonna be mad if I spent all this $$$ and can't use it for something as simple as watching a movie on my big screen :)

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
Hi there,

I'm not too sure about the HDMI pass through.

For your RAM settings, can you please provide a link to the exact OCZ set you have?

I'm a bit confused about your temperatures. How can you have the CPU at 32-35C, when the cores are part of it and running at 50C? That doesn't equate to me.

Please download and run the latest version of Core Temp. Report back with those results. Speedfan may be incorrect with your temperatures for the CPU.

3.6GHz is definitely attainable, but I wouldn't with that cooler, not until we get your current temps sorted.

I'm not sure about getting a 5.9 for the CPU, but my E6750 on stock (2.66GHz) gave me 5.6, and overclocking it to 3.2GHz gave me a 5.7. Of course, these are synthetic benchmarks, so nothing to get too worked up over.

Finally, how do you know whether the video corruption was cause by the motherboard? Could it be a corrupt video disc (or data file)? Have you watched the same video over and over to pinpoint if the movie corrupts at that exact point only?

Cheers

Troy

stettybet0

stettybet0

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,579 posts

I'm not sure about getting a 5.9 for the CPU, but my E6750 on stock (2.66GHz) gave me 5.6, and overclocking it to 3.2GHz gave me a 5.7. Of course, these are synthetic benchmarks, so nothing to get too worked up over.

My E6750 at 4ghz gets a 5.8. I think it might need a quad-core in order to get 5.9. But as Troy said, Windows Experience Index is not only a synthetic benchmark, it is probably the most pointless synthetic benchmark. If you're going to be worried about numbers, worry about the FPS number in your favorite game. At least that means something. :)

Also, CoreTemp does not correctly read the temp of the E8400. The best way to get accurate temps for the E8400 is to do the following:
  • Download Speedfan 4.35.
  • After installation, launch the program and click the Configure button.
  • Select the Advanced tab.
  • On Chip select your Core Duo and on both cores change the value to -5.
  • Select remember it on both cores.

Primevi1

Primevi1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 58 posts
Here is the link to my RAM

CoreTemp was giving me core temps right around 50C
Speedfan gave me 34 for the CPU and 43C for the cores

Also wanted to add that from what if seen online I do seem to have the video corruption error, however I have not upgraded to the latest bios that is meant to fix the issue. Although according to many users it does not, and is infact a defect of the internal timings by nVidia.

Edited by Primevi1, 26 August 2008 - 10:37 AM.

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
According to the link you gave me, the RAM timings are right.

Cheers

Troy

Primevi1

Primevi1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 58 posts
How about the the CPU temp...does that seem good enough to OC effectively?

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
If that's at idle, at stock clocks, then I would not look at doing any overclocking right now.

Troy

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
The temps are all done using different sensors, the CPU core temp is the one that is measured closest the actually business end but they are the least accurate sensors or at least the most likely to be defective. The other sensors are mounted further away and usually measure at different points.

The core temps are just at the cores, the cpu temps are usually the more accurate but they can themselves vary because of other factors, I know my board has a large passive cooler for the chipsets that heats up rapidly because it touches my 8800GT and that affects the CPU temp even though I can feel the HSF and know it is very cool it reads higher(It never feels or reads above 30 on load when the GPU is not running hot). You can test it by touching the HSF base to get an idea of how accurate the temps are.

If you search the forums you will find a little rule of thumb guide for temps by touch either in one of my posts or the original by a guy called Doby.

On an HSF the two companies that are the best are Arctic or thermalright, if its not from one of those guys I won't even consider buying or recommending it, I have an ultima-90i and its good it actually feels cool to the touch even after playing crysis for hours. Zalman is the only other exception but they aren't as consistently good as Arctic or Thermalright, the cheapest good cooler is the old warhorse the arctic freezer pro, it was always great but the latest iteration is top of the pile cooling wise and its cheap.

I've got the same memory and you can lower the timing from 18 to 15 at least I can but there is a bit of motherboard magic going on to allow me to do that you can give it a try if it doesn't work just set it back to 18.

Advertisements