Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Compaq Pressario f500 laptop won't start

• Please log in to reply

RobertMack

RobertMack

• Pip
  • 7 posts
Hi everyone,

I am having trouble getting my compaq laptop to fire up. When I try to switch on the power light comes on momentarily and then it switches straight back off. I thought it may be an issue with the charger as the connector recently got bent but after trying a new power supply it still won't start up.

Any ideas?

Thanks

Advertisements

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
This is usually a motherboard replacement to fix this problem. Possible that the connector in the laptop has a bad connection to the motherboard but not likely. It doesn't matter because the only way to try fixing this is taking the laptop completely apart. Thats something i would nt even attempt, so sending it to the compaq factory for rebuilding is really the only option. Any laptop over 2 years old you might as well sell it for parts and buy a new one, instead of repairing it.

SRX660

shard92

shard92

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,129 posts
will run on the battery? or with the battery out and the power plugged in? If not it's possible that the power board may have been damaged when you bent the pin..... Unfortunately most power boards are not seperate boards that can be replaced... I would recommend having it looked at by a professional.... or if you know someone with the same model you could try their battery to see if it will run on a battery...

RobertMack

RobertMack

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Thank you to SRX660 and shard 92 for your for information. I have passed this on to my son for him to sort out.

thanks again

RobertMack