Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Cannot Load any Browsers at all even though I have an internet connect

• Please log in to reply

Bonusdonut

Bonusdonut

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Okay, so about a week ago my AVG anti-virus expired so I downloaded this other antivirus software which actually turned out to be a virus. Extremely stupid, I know, but it all got fixed when my friend John remotely controlled my computer from his and got the new AVG for it and also used CCleanup to remove all the extra temp files that were plaguing my harddrive (I had about 30gb of temp folders...guess I'm stupider than I thought). Anyway, after everything was said and done and all the viruses were successfully removed, I restarted my computer so I could use Firefox and get more games for my Zune. However, upon restarting the computer an error appeared that said:

"Windows cannot find 'C:\WINDOWS\Nail.exe'. Make sure you typed the name correctly, and then try again. To search for a file, click the start button, and then click search."

I X'ed out of that message and decided that it didn't matter. But then when I double clicked the firefox shortcut on my desktop, all that happened was the icon became highlighted and then shortly thereafter, un-highlighted itself. But firefox would not load. I decided to try Internet Explorer, hoping it would load. This was a little different. IE loaded, but the tab just said "Connecting..." and then closed itself soon after. It did that every time I tried to open it. Meanwhile Firefox still would just not load at all. The internet, however, was up and running. I could tell because my brothers were able to satisfy their sick obsession with Maplestory on that computer.

So, I decided to get on my other computer (one with working Firefox) and downloaded the latest version of Firefox and IE. I put both of the .exe's on a flash drive and plugged that baby into my non-opening-any-browser computer and executed them. The exe's executed properly and all of firefox's addons were updated. All was well in the Browser region...or so I thought. After restarting the computer (again) to complete the browser updates, I still got the error message and IE would still close itself shortly after opening it. Firefox does something different, though. Whenever you try to open it, it will say:

"Your last Firefox session closed unexpectedly. You can restore the tabs and windows from your previous session, or you can start a new session if you think the problem was related to a page you were viewing."

My two options are "Restore previous session" (which I am unsure of what previous session it is referring to) and "Start new session". Despite which one I choose, the result is the same: Firefox doesn't attempt to load.

If someone can control my computer remotely and fix my computer by doing so, I am happy to let them.

I have never encountered such a problem in the past and I am in dire need of assistance. :) iAyudame por favor!

Edited by Bonusdonut, 19 August 2008 - 01:30 PM.

Advertisements

bombasos2

bombasos2

• PipPipPip
  • 198 posts
Since you have tried reinstalling Firefox, I think this issue is not with the browser but somewhere else in you computer. I would stop by Malware Forums and have your computer checked out by one of the experts. If they determine that your infection was successfully removed, we can look at other options.