Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

MDAC 2.7 SP1 cannot be installed

• Please log in to reply

Gords

Gords

• PipPip
  • 30 posts
I am currently trying to get a program to run on my computer. It works fine when I'm on Admin, however, when I swtich to the staff login, I get a "Run-time error '13': type mismatch." So I tried to do a repair through setup, and I get "MDAC 2.7 Sp1 cannot be installed on this machine. MDAC 2.7 Sp1 requires any one of the following configurations:" It then lists off pretty well all Microsoft OS. I am currently running XP Pro, with all current updates, yet it still won't recognize it. Any suggestions on what I can try to get this program to work?

-Gords

Advertisements

Gords

Gords

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts
*bump* as no response yet

-Gords

jaxisland

jaxisland

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,703 posts
Does the staff login have administrative rights on the machine?

Gords

Gords

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts

Does the staff login have administrative rights on the machine?

No, it doesn't. However, I use the same logins, with the same access, on multiple other stations, all running the same program, and they load it fine.

-Gords

jaxisland

jaxisland

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,703 posts
If you go to Start - Control Panel - Administrative Tools - Event Viewer

Are there any items with a red X on them in Application, Security or System sections. Something that has a time stamp that coincides with the error?

Gords

Gords

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts

If you go to Start - Control Panel - Administrative Tools - Event Viewer

Are there any items with a red X on them in Application, Security or System sections. Something that has a time stamp that coincides with the error?

Under the Application and System tabs, there are a couple of errors but none match up to the time when I tried to open the app. On the login for that computer, however, I don't have the rights to read the security tab. I'm going to log onto admin and see if it shows me anything there.

-Gords

jaxisland

jaxisland

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,703 posts
In my experiences, this is usually a permission issue. Something is being blocked on the user account, could be a reg key or a folder or a whole app.

Gords

Gords

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts

In my experiences, this is usually a permission issue. Something is being blocked on the user account, could be a reg key or a folder or a whole app.

Okay, I'll take a look around and see what I can find, and I'll let you know, good or bad, what the results are. Thank you for your help!

-Gords

jaxisland

jaxisland

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,703 posts
Definitely, there is a really pain in the butt way if you get stuck. I use the Filemon from Sysinternals

That will allow you to watch each file open and its result. You will have a large output file, I exclude the processes that are the background stuff, then look for files that have access denied as a result. Its a really easy program to use but its time consuming. I export the result to a .csv and open it in Excel, that way I can filter by result to see if any files have access denied. It may help, its saved my butt a few times.

Gords

Gords

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts
Thanks Jaxis for all of your help. It ended up being a permissions issue, with that login on that particular computer only having a limited access. I thought I had adjusted it properly before, but after examining one of our other computers, I realized I still hadn't set it right. Thanks again for the help!

-Gords

jaxisland

jaxisland

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,703 posts
Im glad it was resolved. :)