Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

DVD and CD-ROM problems

• Please log in to reply

beforr

beforr

• Pip
  • 5 posts
Hi all-

My DVD and CD drives have been quietly failing. I don't use them much, so I really wasn't too alarmed when the CD-ROM quit working. It would still spin and light up with a disc in it, but it did not show connected in the computer directory. Just recently my DVD drive did the same thing, so now it's got my attention. Both drives were on a red X in the Device Manager, so I disabled both and attempted a reboot. They are showing yellow exclamation marks now along with a note about missing or corrupt drivers. I tried physically removing them, rebooting without them connected, and then reconnecting and rebooting again- same result. The CD-ROM came with the computer and is 4-5 yrs old. The DVD drive is about 2 - 2 1/2 yrs old. Maybe these drives are just getting too old, but I would like to try to revive them.

Drives:
LG : HL-DT-ST-DVDRAM GSA-4163B
Samsung: CD-ROM SC-148C

I've tried both websites and neither one has a driver that I can try. Since both drives are bad, I can't have the computer look at a Dell driver disc to try to find the appropriate driver. So I'm stumped at this point. Anyone have any ideas? Thanks so much.
Bob

Advertisements

The Admiral

The Admiral

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 1,067 posts
Hi, and welcome to Geeks to Go!

I need you to enable your drives again, and then in Device Manager, right-click each and select Uninstall. Reboot the computer, and they will automatically redetect and download the necessary "drivers."

Once that is done, I need you to use Method 2 in the following link to clear out some entries in the registry that may be causing some conflicts.
This section, method, or task contains steps that tell you how to modify the registry. However, serious problems might occur if you modify the registry incorrectly. Therefore, make sure that you follow these steps carefully. For added protection, back up the registry before you modify it. Then, you can restore the registry if a problem occurs.
Microsoft Knowledge Base Article 314060: You can no longer access the CD drive or the DVD drive, or you receive an error message after you remove a CD recording program or a DVD recording program in Windows XP: "error code 31"

Edited by The Admiral, 20 August 2008 - 06:45 AM.

beforr

beforr

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Thanks, Admiral. Pls be patient. I'm going away on a trip now and will be back in a couple of days. Will try your solution then. Thanks so much for your help! I'll report back.

beforr

beforr

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Admiral- Sorry it took awhile to respond. I travel a lot so I've been away from this computer. I complied with your instructions and the knowledge base article. After uninstalling the drives and rebooting, they once again came up with an error "Windows cannot load the device driver for this hardware. The driver may be corrupted or missing. (Code 39)." Then I went looking for the Upper/lower filters in the registry and came up dry at the specified location. No mention of upper or lower filters. The only comments concerning CD/DVD drives were the following:
ab(Default) REG_SZ DVD/CD-ROM drives
abClass REG_SZ CDROM

Hope this helps. Let me know if you have any other things to try. Thanks so much for your help.

Bob

The Admiral

The Admiral

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 1,067 posts
Did you click on {4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}, then look in the right side of the screen for UpperFilters and LowerFilters?

beforr

beforr

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Yes- I clicked on that exact location and there was no mention of upper or lower filters. Would you like for me to copy all the items displayed at that location?

cojulie

cojulie

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Bob

I have this same problem. Did you ever find a fix for it?

Broni

Broni

Kraków my love :)

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,300 posts
1. Download, and run Restore Missing CD Drive patch
Double click on cdgone.zip to unzip it.
Right click on cdgone.reg, click Merge.
Accept registry merge.
Restart computer.
or...
2. Go to Device Manager, click a "+" sign next to IDE ATA/ATAPI Controllers.
You'll see two items:
- ATA Channel0 (or Primary Channel)
- ATA Channel1 (or Secondary Channel)
Right click on each of them, and click Uninstall. Confirm.
Restart Windows. They'll be automatically reinstalled.

P. S. If The Admiral's, and my steps won't work, the drive can be safely declared dead.

Edited by Broni, 04 February 2009 - 10:49 PM.

cojulie

cojulie

• Pip
  • 2 posts
I fixed my code 39 problem. I used DevCon utility which lead me to the XCP software tool.

DVD combo was back but Windows Media Player could not play DVDs so I also had to download
K-Lite Codec pack.

No more problems.

Nicolet

Nicolet

• PipPip
  • 44 posts
I see it was solved already but for someone who runs into this or is still having this problem, sometimes it can be caused not for the CD or DVD drivers but the drivers for storage on your motherboard, try upgrading those.