Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Simple vs. Dynamic Volume Question

• Please log in to reply

Snowbuzz

Snowbuzz

• PipPip
  • 21 posts
I just installed new hard drives into seperate, but identical computers, that are on the office network. It's the WE 320GD EIDE. I set them up as slave drives when I physically put them in and right now they work fine and are set up for simple configuration. My question is this:

Can I set it up so the computer reads the two volumes are just one huge volume? So that when I save files, I don't have to physically choose the second hard drive and worry about where the file is actually saved? I think I'm talking a dynamic drive that is a spanned drive, but not really sure. I got confused when reading all the descriptions of spanned and stripped and what not. Please help!

These are office computers, so I can't risk crashing one or both!

Advertisements

Kemasa

Kemasa

Nobody

• Technician
  • 1,727 posts
I am not sure that you can change the disk to dynamic with the system running, specifically changing the system disk, but even if you could, it would mean that if either drive failed, the system would crash (rAID0, not redundant).

It would be a spanned dynamic drive.