Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

How to Build Your Own Computer

• Please log in to reply

ZzDiety

ZzDiety

• PipPip
  • 35 posts
Thanks for the guide! Just made put togather all the parts from the barebone kit and had to get some missing cords and buy a wireless mouse, great guide helped me put up the 1st pc i've ever made by myself now i'm installing windows xp on it =].

Btw, here's my barebone kit i'm using.
http://www.tigerdire...a...6&CatId=332

Really good, barebone kit, great bang got it for my mom and i must say it's a good price for the componets you save well over $100 on this! And also, you might be missing some cords for the DVD drive that they give you, but no matter 10-20 bucks will get you the needed cords to connect it to the motherboard.

=]

-ZzDiety

Advertisements

Wolverine But Even Hairy

Wolverine But Even Hairy

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Nice, great instructions can't wait o start my first build.

spiderman1982

spiderman1982

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hi, I'm new here and not a tech wizard like many of you probably are. I'm planning on building my own computer for gaming and have a few items on my wishlist at newegg.com. I will be using my hard drive and a few other components from the HP I already own as well as an additional geforce 9800 +. If at all possible, could someone let me know if there will be anything else I'll need for this to work and will this mobe be compatible with everything else? If so, any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Here are the items I have lined up so far:

Update13-131-403 ASUS P6TD Deluxe LGA 1366 Intel X58 ATX Intel Motherboard - Retail
Model #:P6TD Deluxe
Item #:N82E16813131403

. .
Update14-133-246 PNY VCG98GTXPXPB GeForce 9800 GTX+ 512MB 256-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Supported Video Card - Retail
Model #:VCG98GTXPXPB
Item #:N82E16814133246

. .
Update35-103-055 COOLER MASTER Intel Core i7 compatible V8 RR-UV8-XBU1-GP 120mm Rifle CPU Cooler - Retail
Model #:RR-UV8-XBU1-GP
Item #:N82E16835103055

Update11-119-137 COOLER MASTER RC-690-KKN1-GP Black SECC/ ABS ATX Mid Tower Computer Case - Retail
Model #:RC-690-KKN1-GP
Item #:N82E16811119137

Update35-185-005 Scythe S-FLEX SFF21E 120mm Case Fan - Retail
Model #:S-FLEX SFF21E
Item #:N82E16835185005

Update17-703-022 PC Power & Cooling Silencer PPCS910 910W ATX12V 2.2 / EPS12V 2.91 SLI Certified CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS SILVER Certified ... - Retail
Model #:PPCS910
Item #:N82E16817703022

Also, this is my first post, so if I'm in the wrong area, let me know.

Edited by spiderman1982, 27 August 2009 - 10:23 PM.

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Topic Starter
  • Technician
  • 8,841 posts

Also, this is my first post, so if I'm in the wrong area, let me know.

Hi and welcome. :)

Yes I would say this is the wrong thread, but the right area. Start yourself a new thread right here and we'll be glad to help.

Cheers

Troy

eddieram

eddieram

• Pip
  • 3 posts
what would the price range be to make a good computer for gaming and for programs like MAYA, 3d max, and many rendering program?

sul2005tan

sul2005tan

• Pip
  • 3 posts
thank you very much:)

rcguyme

rcguyme

• PipPip
  • 20 posts
ok now what is the next step after building nice pc

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Topic Starter
  • Technician
  • 8,841 posts
Er, enjoy it? :)

artm12

artm12

Spammer

• Banned
  • PipPip
  • 51 posts
Hi Friend,
Awesome, really a great post.

Thanks,
James

knight2255

knight2255

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Unfortunately for some, it might not be over just yet - sometimes components can be DOA (dead on arrival). If you don't know why the computer isn't working, follow the instructions contained here to try and pinpoint the faulty component(s) for replacement.

Link doesn't work anymore.

Advertisements

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Topic Starter
  • Technician
  • 8,841 posts

Link doesn't work anymore.

Thanks mate, looks like the thread has disappeared. I've updated the info.

Troy

mukluk

mukluk

• Pip
  • 1 posts
ok, i have an old computer. so have many of the parts, will i be ok using some or most of these parts? obvioulsy i need more ram. but what else? Or should i just use the case maybe, and install all new parts? I'm really ready and eager to do my first computer build. I wanna make it the most awsome computer i have had to date. which shouldn't take all that much to do hi hi. because have only had the old compaq that i wanna redo. and now this acer lap top. thanks. :D

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Topic Starter
  • Technician
  • 8,841 posts
Hi mate and welcome. If the parts are all in working condition and compatible then give it a go! At best it will work and at worst, well you can chalk it up as a learning experience!

If you need help confirming compatibility feel free to make a new thread and we'll help you out.

Cheers

Amst3rDamag3

Amst3rDamag3

• PipPipPip
  • 243 posts
Great tut, even for slightly advanced users!

I'm missing one crucial instruction though: GROUND YOURSELF AND YOUR SYSTEM to avoid damage from static electricity, especially when handling the GPU, CPU and RAM....Posted Image

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,710 posts

I'm missing one crucial instruction though: GROUND YOURSELF AND YOUR SYSTEM to avoid damage from static electricity, especially when handling the GPU, CPU and RAM....

You can do this by touching a bare metal part of the case or PSU or wear an anti static wrist band; http://en.wikipedia....tic_wrist_strap