Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

How to Build Your Own Computer

• Please log in to reply

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Topic Starter
  • Technician
  • 8,841 posts
Today I built a PC for a client and it so happened that my family had come to visit me for lunch. After lunch I got my boys to help me out a bit.

My 3 year old used a blade to open the processor box factory seal, and put the CPU in. This included opening the lever, removing the CPU cover from the motherboard and putting the CPU in place with my guiding hand to line up the notches.

My 5 year old used the blade to open the case box, and also installed the RAM. This included opening the side locking tabs, putting the RAM in (the wrong way haha), checking the orientation of the notch and turning the module around so it lined up properly. Then we pushed down hard to install it properly and the side locking tabs snapped into place.

And I have now finished setting it up, the PC is running like a charm.

Obviously they were sitting on my lap and we did it together (especially the blade bits, you should have seen the look on mummy's face! :lol:), but they were able to do most of it themselves. It's just like a big puzzle. If they can do it, you can too!

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts

Today I built a PC for a client and it so happened that my family had come to visit me for lunch. After lunch I got my boys to help me out a bit.

My 3 year old used a blade to open the processor box factory seal, and put the CPU in. This included opening the lever, removing the CPU cover from the motherboard and putting the CPU in place with my guiding hand to line up the notches.

My 5 year old used the blade to open the case box, and also installed the RAM. This included opening the side locking tabs, putting the RAM in (the wrong way haha), checking the orientation of the notch and turning the module around so it lined up properly. Then we pushed down hard to install it properly and the side locking tabs snapped into place.

And I have now finished setting it up, the PC is running like a charm.

Obviously they were sitting on my lap and we did it together (especially the blade bits, you should have seen the look on mummy's face! :lol:), but they were able to do most of it themselves. It's just like a big puzzle. If they can do it, you can too!

An inspiring post Troy :spoton:

For anyone reading this topic because they feel that they need assistance with a new build or upgrade please start your own topic on this forum and we will be happy to assist you there.

Update;

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Topic Starter
  • Technician
  • 8,841 posts
:rofl:

DCucannon

DCucannon

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Nice tutorial! It really helped! I came accross this site that may be helpful for anyone looking for some hardware for their build: Build a PC for Under $500

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts
:welcome: DCucannon

The link that you have provided is now obsolete I`m afraid.

b0bl335wa663r

b0bl335wa663r

• PipPipPip
  • 295 posts

Such a tidy cable management! Thanks for the detailed explanaton.

Paolaura

Paolaura

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Hi,

I know this post is years old but I'm interested in fixing up an old netbook that I have. I noticed that this post talks about building a new desktop computer and I was wondering about my old netbook. Would it be more expensive than just buying a new laptop?

It's a Samsung 10.1" N140 from 2007. It no longer has a hard drive but everything else is still there. The laptop that I regularly use is a Toshiba. It's a great machine and does everything I need but it's pretty heavy and I'm not comfortable carrying it around (from school to work) outside of the house. So I was hoping to get something light (physically) that I can use for class and work. The netbook would have been perfect (before it had the hard disk taken out) for this if it wasn't so slow. 

[http://www.samsung.c...A07CL-features]

What would I need to change (if it can be done) to make it faster, with more memory?

I think I may know a person who could help with the actual work if I decide to fix the old thing up.

I would appreciate any recommendations.

Laura

Edited by Paolaura, 09 July 2014 - 12:59 PM.

b0bl335wa663r

b0bl335wa663r

• PipPipPip
  • 295 posts

Hi,

I know this post is years old but I'm interested in fixing up an old netbook that I have. I noticed that this post talks about building a new desktop computer and I was wondering about my old netbook. Would it be more expensive than just buying a new laptop?

It's a Samsung 10.1" N140 from 2007. It no longer has a hard drive but everything else is still there. The laptop that I regularly use is a Toshiba. It's a great machine and does everything I need but it's pretty heavy and I'm not comfortable carrying it around (from school to work) outside of the house. So I was hoping to get something light (physically) that I can use for class and work. The netbook would have been perfect (before it had the hard disk taken out) for this if it wasn't so slow. 

[http://www.samsung.c...A07CL-features]

What would I need to change (if it can be done) to make it faster, with more memory?

I think I may know a person who could help with the actual work if I decide to fix the old thing up.

I would appreciate any recommendations.

Laura

Hi, you can post a new thread in the Hardware section of our forum decribing the exact problem. Someone with an experience in hardware troubleshooting can help you.

jaco1

jaco1

• PipPipPip
  • 782 posts

This is indeed a great tutorial and definitely something I'm going to try as soon as I get paid. :thumbsup: :rockon:

SuperNerd2000

SuperNerd2000

• PipPip
  • 24 posts

Hello :)

I am going to make me he best pc ever.

But I am not sure what parts that are the best out on the marked.

My Money cap on this pc will be 4000 dollars, that I will max use on it.

Was Reading the guide and it said that if anyone had any questions then it was just to post back :)

I realy need some guide on what to buy, to make my dream come true.

I am aiming to have a pc so powerfull that it will run all the best upcoming 4k monitors that is coming out later, on the best video setings.

I play most games now and then, but at the most time I play pvp games like League of Legends. I also want it to run as quick as posible for pvp Plays.

I will wait and buy a 4k monitor to they have a 4K (3,840x2,160 pixels) monitor whit: 27", 1ms, 120 Hz. If anyone know about one then plezz tell me :)

I am happy for all the help I can get ! :)

Edited by Provincs, 25 July 2014 - 09:01 AM.

Advertisements

CompCav

CompCav

Member 5k

• Expert
  • 12,454 posts

Hi Provincs,

Please start your own topic in this forum so one of our helpers can help you.  This topic is a general topic on building the computer once you decide on the parts.

Regards,

CompCav

SuperNerd2000

SuperNerd2000

• PipPip
  • 24 posts

Hi Provincs,

Please start your own topic in this forum so one of our helpers can help you.  This topic is a general topic on building the computer once you decide on the parts.

Regards,

CompCav

Will do, thanks :)

jaco1

jaco1

• PipPipPip
  • 782 posts

Re-editing here as I think I made a mistake also as not being completely on topic. Furthermore I believe my question was easily searchable. Sorry for any inconvenience.

Now off to find this equipment so I can start building in the future as time permits. :D

Edited by jaco1, 01 August 2014 - 06:21 AM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts

Re-editing here as I think I made a mistake also as not being completely on topic. Furthermore I believe my question was easily searchable. Sorry for any inconvenience.

Now off to find this equipment so I can start building in the future as time permits. :D

If you need any form of guidance regarding the build of a new computer start a new topic here and you will be assisted asap, please let us know your maximum budget. the main use of the computer and the country in which you will purchase the parts.

We enjoy what we do here and especially if we can save you some cash  :)

Plastic Nev

Plastic Nev

• PipPipPip
  • 485 posts

Please bear in mind that the original tutorial was first posted in August of 2008. Although techniques and general advice remains about the same, component wise the advances in component design, capability and in the case of hard drives, the type and capacity, have changed dramatically in those six years.

Not to mention the fact that three operating systems have come and gone as far as Microsoft's Windows is concerned, with a soon to be released Windows 10.

Motherboard design and sizes have changed, and therefore cases to accommodate them, as also the CPU that will be fitted to the motherboard, all of this will mean that certain photo's and images that were relevant in 2008, may no longer be so.

Just a gentle reminder that change is inevitable over time. Even my advice will be out of date in another six year perhaps.

However, as already stated, any questions and much more up to date advice can be gained by posting your own thread.

Happy and successful building folks, and above all else have fun while doing it.

Nev.