Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

NEW BUILD doesn't work

• Please log in to reply

xgamerson

xgamerson

• PipPip
  • 16 posts
I just finished building this system today and there seems to be a problem. Can anyone tell me if these components are compatible?

Case Thermaltake Armor Series VA8000BWS --new egg Item#:N82E16811133154

[CPU] Intel Core 2 Duo E6850 --New egg Item#:N82E16819115028

[HDD] HD 150G WD 10K 16M SATA

[PSU] OCZ 700W --new egg Item#:N82E16817341002

[RAM] Patriot Viper 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 --new egg Item#:N82E16820220293

[VID] PNY VCG96512GXPB GeForce 9600 GT 512MB 256-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Supported Video Card --new egg Item#:N82E16814133216

I have an old CD-ROM drive I installed from a 99 Hewlett pak, and just got a new Lite-on DVD drive.

Everything powers up and has no problem the screen just stays black with the orange standby light.

If anyone has any help trouble shooting please.

Advertisements

xgamerson

xgamerson

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
Forgot to mention it is all on a Gigabyte S series motherboard [GA-965P-S3]

charge06

charge06

• PipPipPip
  • 159 posts
dod u have a diff graphics card you could test

xgamerson

xgamerson

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

dod u have a diff graphics card you could test

That's what I figured was the problem. Not only is this card extremely large even for the tower I have that is already 40lbs alone, but I figure it could be that it's not compatible with the motherboard.

xgamerson

xgamerson

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
the video card is a PCIE 2.0 x16

I think that is where I went wrong... Time to upgrade the old Motherboard.

stettybet0

stettybet0

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,579 posts
No, PCIe 2.0 is backwards compatible with all previous versions of PCIe.

Try the things suggested in this topic, then get back to us on how things went.

xgamerson

xgamerson

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
Well I tried almost everything, and I was wondering if I have to install a sound card for it to boot up properly?

motherboard has 8.0 sound built in however behind it seems to be sort of a jumper.

Edited by xgamerson, 20 August 2008 - 12:30 PM.

xgamerson

xgamerson

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
You know come to think of it I don't think the motherboard is SLI ready.

stettybet0

stettybet0

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,579 posts

You know come to think of it I don't think the motherboard is SLI ready.

It isn't. But unless you are trying to run an SLI configuration (using two video cards), this is not applicable.

You don't have to install a sound card if your motherboard has onboard sound. The nearby jumper likely has nothing to do with the integrated sound.

xgamerson

xgamerson

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
Here's the build

http://a899.ac-image...dc6a24aa34a.jpg

http://a279.ac-image...e8b0b906476.jpg

http://a658.ac-image...aa507751539.jpg

Okay this is close on the MB (Yes the HD and CDrom is unplugged)

http://a525.ac-image...f5de042335c.jpg

Edited by xgamerson, 20 August 2008 - 06:56 PM.

Advertisements

CrazyIvan007

CrazyIvan007

• PipPip
  • 87 posts
Did you plug in the power to the Video Card? I forgot to do that once, and had the exact same problem.

The other problem may be if you are using your old Power Supply.

Most PCIe 2.0 cards will require a PSU (Power Supply Unit) to have a minimum of 24A on the +12v plug. Most cards up to $300 will require between 28A and 30A. You can find a chart (usually) physically on the side of the PSU, either a one-sided sticky chart or painted onto the casing of the PSU. You may also not have the right Wattage of PSU. Most PCIe 2.0 cards will require a minimum of 500W....but the Amps are what you should be more concerned about.

Hope that helps.

xgamerson

xgamerson

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
Yeah have the card plugged in, but I just realized that my keyboard doesn't work on startup either. So nothing is being processed through the monitor and keyboard isn't working. My mother board might be a old.

CrazyIvan007

CrazyIvan007

• PipPip
  • 87 posts
Well, when you boot up a system, it will try to recognize the video system FIRST. That is the initial BEEP that you normally hear, then it goes to the bootup BIOS screen "DELL" "BFG" "EVGA" etc...

Right after the video is processed, the USB hubs are engaged, then either the hard drive, diskette drive or CD/DVD drive (depending on what you have setup as the boot order in the bios).

So, something is going wrong when trying to establish the video system, and it is flowing dowhill to everything which comes after...So, I would guess your PSU is not powerfull enough to run that video card.

Try putting the Video Card from the other computer in this one, hook up the new PSU and see if it works. If it does, then my original assumption would be correct... Your PSU is not powerfull enough in some department (Either the +12v system, or in overall wattage).

I don't think anything is wrong with the Mobo...

You may have something going on with a RAM stick, but I doubt it.

Edited by CrazyIvan007, 22 August 2008 - 06:17 PM.

CrazyIvan007

CrazyIvan007

• PipPip
  • 87 posts
Here, these images are just a general idea of what you might see on the side of your power supply. Under the +12v, you are looking for a number of 24A or above:

Posted Image
Posted Image

Edited by CrazyIvan007, 22 August 2008 - 06:21 PM.

xgamerson

xgamerson

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
[quote name='CrazyIvan007' post='1313313' date='Aug 22 2008, 06:18 PM']Here, these images are just a general idea of what you might see on the side of your power supply. Under the +12v, you are looking for a number of 24A or above:

I appreciate the help, and it looks like it only supplys 18a

Posted Image

as shown in this picture.

Edited by xgamerson, 22 August 2008 - 07:18 PM.